News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Better bonito bait source than the asian markets

Started by spideyjg, October 25, 2015, 12:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

I run a booth on Saturday at the Little Italy farmers market. There is a fish vendor Salmon Slinger there also.

Anyhow John brought me a jacked up cimeter to fix last week so when I brought it back yesterday I asked him about local macs or bonito and he said they tossed back probably 200 bonito during the week because the only a few folks buy them.

He had 2 and I got them they were better bloody fresh fish than anything I got at the store.

I asked him to toss a few in the freezer for me if he gets some this week. Since I only used about 1/3 of one I have a lot left. So if he has a lot next week I may need to pass some on

Told him I know a bunch of shark fisherman who seek fresh bonito or mac since the market stuff is sh!t.
So those of you who need to buy bait consider going to the farmers markets and find the fish guys to see what they have. There is also the Tuna Harbor Dockside market as well for fresh fish

Jim

raychavez91

Great info to know man. Can get tough to gather bait in a few months

sasquatch

Eric H

Never thought about the farmers market, thought they only sold fruit and veggies..

skrilla

Bummer on the waste. Any idea how they were disposed of? Some lobster fisherman would of definitely put those to good use.

spideyjg

Quote from: skrilla on October 25, 2015, 05:52:28 PM
Bummer on the waste. Any idea how they were disposed of? Some lobster fisherman would of definitely put those to good use.

I don't know he was showing me bruises from Manta Rays that have gotten caught in the nets.

As a business those commercial fisherman are not going to keep stuff that will not sell. If the lobster guys would hit up the fish guys to buy whatever I'm sure they would keep some.

I'll ask John about saving a bunch of bonito and macs for the shark get together on the 21st.

I'm sure he wouldn't mind a group buy of some sort but somebody would need to pick them up. I run my own booth down there and the 21st is my Black Friday.

Jim

vdisney

Shark get together on the 21st, what am I missing here guys?????????????
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

TheCraftsman

There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Latimeria

BTW, those "Bonito" that Jim had were Bullet/Frigate tuna!  They were awesome baits and just a perfect size for surf sharks!

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

Watch this space tomorrow because if John has a lot come and get them. I'm low on freezer space so I can't get much.

Or if you are not on the water John is at the Little Italy farmers market on north side of Cedar street just west of State.

Just tell him your looking for shark bait and you know Jim.

Jim

spideyjg

John didn't get any this week. I told him about the 21st so we shall see.

The weather looks sketchy for them to go out next week.

Jim

spideyjg

John has 2 5 gallon buckets and a milk crate of large macs caught yesterday on his boat. I'm going to pick some up but anyone with freezer space let me know. I don't have space to keep many.

I may hit fiesta island tonight for a short session. Coukd be a bait pickup.

Jim

Latimeria

Holy Crap, I wish I was sober enough to come down. Hopefully someone picks up your gracious opportunity! I would, but I can't drive at the moment. Lol
Thanks for your offer to the guys on the site, boss. Very cool.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Quote from: Latimeria on November 14, 2015, 04:31:18 PM
Holy Crap, I wish I was sober enough to come down. Hopefully someone picks up your gracious opportunity! I would, but I can't drive at the moment. Lol
Thanks for your offer to the guys on the site, boss. Very cool.

Funny. I thought the same thing.Glad you got some relaxing in.

spideyjg

Got a 36 quart cooler full of bullet mackerel.  That's what the biologist told John they are.

That was 1 of his 3 buckets. I'm going to post a pic of what I left.

Jim