News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Flylining a big freaking bait. Madness?

Started by spideyjg, October 29, 2015, 04:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

With the super large squid heads at bout 6oz and bonito or yellowtail heads about 8+ would it be crazy to throw that into the surf and flyline it?

A big fish skull is a built in sinker.

Thinking of trying that next trip out with low surf but wonder any thoughts?

Jim

sasquatch

In the right conditions it should work. I've seen a guy flyline perch heads for leopards. He was wading and following the drift. I would be concerned with maintaining contact, but I guess if it gets picked up you would be in contact soon.

raychavez91

Tempted to try this yr fishing bigbaits on lighter gear.
I'd ove to hook up a nice 7gill on my calcutta 401, with spectra

Eric H

Would  love to get one on my seeker/avet set up or the teramar/saltist ...

Edit

Or even the other seeker /other saltist ...

Pinoyfisher

You're going to be at the mercy of the current if you flyline. Your bait will just roll around in the surf unless you get it in the "zone" right away. It doesn't hurt to try.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on October 31, 2015, 08:16:15 AM
You're going to be at the mercy of the current if you flyline. Your bait will just roll around in the surf unless you get it in the "zone" right away. It doesn't hurt to try.

That might be a good thing if you spot a strong rip current and toss it into it. Could take it out a few hundred yards, doing it bait runner style...
JOE

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on October 31, 2015, 09:00:39 AM
Quote from: Pinoyfisher on October 31, 2015, 08:16:15 AM

That might be a good thing if you spot a strong rip current and toss it into it. Could take it out a few hundred yards, doing it bait runner style...
JOE

Very true!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

raychavez91

Obviously has to be under the most mellow of conditions lol

spideyjg

The rip current may be the real ticket. I was at TP one night and the tide was dropping. The water coming out of the lagoon created a current that sucked my bait and an 8 oz sputinik from 2 'O'clock where it landed, to noon by the time I got to the spike, and washed to the beach in 5-10 minutes.

I figure not fight that kind of current with weight and just walk with it.

Jim

Latimeria

That is very Leopard Shark fishing.  Those Soupies and Sevengills always take so much time to appear.   :)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

I've tossed macks with no weight. Lots of line tending and only caught on Leo doing it. I prefer a good Sputnik to hold it out there. Might not be able to use 15 or 20lb but 30 suffices and it better than losing half a spool to the kelp.
Keep it tight

vdisney

Quote from: sasquatch on October 29, 2015, 06:54:00 PM
I would be concerned with maintaining contact, but I guess if it gets picked up you would be in contact soon.

:o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect