News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

New toy

Started by Eric H, November 29, 2015, 04:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric H

Just got this 13ft HDX in the mail yesterday and absolutely love it. Its a heavy rod rated 4-8 oz . The blank is just right, stiff but but by far not a broom stick. Its got nice flex down to the butt.

Its got a reel seat which I don't quite understand. Ill be removing it soon and clamping the reel a couple inches below.

Paired it with a saltist bg 50h I recently purchased. Its spooled with 310yds of 40lb.

Love the 12ft OM/Saltist 40h set up but it will now be back up.

WheresMyBeer

Eric H

Quote from: WheresMyBeer on November 29, 2015, 04:16:32 PM
Wait ....

You fish?

;D ;D

Lol. I've been getting out lately but have been developing a nice skunk streak so haven't been posting.

raychavez91

Nice setup man, we'll see how it compares to my broomstick ;)

WheresMyBeer

Quote from: Eric H on November 29, 2015, 04:21:13 PM
Quote from: WheresMyBeer on November 29, 2015, 04:16:32 PM
Wait ....

You fish?

;D ;D

Lol. I've been getting out lately but have been developing a nice skunk streak so haven't been posting.

There are trophies involved if you can really stretch it out ...  ;) ;) ;)

vdisney

I'm jealous Eric, I had an LDX and loved it.  Before you move the reel seat, play with the rod for a few sessions.  It may feel odd at first, but they are set up for distance.  Once you get used to fighting the fish with the reel between your legs, I think you'll love it.  Let me know, I'm still debating buying one this winter................Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

vdisney

Quote from: raychavez91 on November 29, 2015, 05:30:48 PM
Nice setup man, we'll see how it compares to my broomstick ;)

Distance wise, my money's on the Breakaway  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

Quote from: vdisney on November 30, 2015, 06:20:02 AM
I'm jealous Eric, I had an LDX and loved it.  Before you move the reel seat, play with the rod for a few sessions.  It may feel odd at first, but they are set up for distance.  Once you get used to fighting the fish with the reel between your legs, I think you'll love it.  Let me know, I'm still debating buying one this winter................Verne
You are more than welcome to cast it. Fortunately my arms are long enough that I don't need to fish it between my legs.

Pinoyfisher

Binh likes fighting a fish between his legs!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Pinoyfisher

I personally prefer a reel seat. A "good" reel seat. I always find that I have not tightened down the reel clamp enough prior to fighting a fish, Joe can attest to that.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

raychavez91

I'd prefer a reel seat aswell. But then I'd have to strip my surf rod. And so far my tiburon clamps have never failed me.

TheCraftsman

Nice rod! Although ive never had any problems with my reels/rods clamped on, those are definitely set up for casting not fighting.
There's more than one way.. To microwave a cat!

Chris

I read your PM and didn't quite understand what you were getting at. From the pics it looks just right. Short dudes might have to but it but you should be ok. Is the seat adjustable?
Keep it tight

Eric H

The seat isn't Adjustable.

@patty, not sure what you mean, the set ups are perfect for fighting.

Jaws

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on November 30, 2015, 11:13:15 AM
I personally prefer a reel seat. A "good" reel seat. I always find that I have not tightened down the reel clamp enough prior to fighting a fish, Joe can attest to that.

;D ;D ;D
It's all Tom and Don's fault! They "hooked" me on mud marlins and sharks!

SNBF VI  Winner