News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Furbag Fury (12/21)

Started by Latimeria, December 21, 2015, 05:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I had plans to take the boat out and fish this week, but high winds and big seas looked to ruin those plans.  I took the next 3 days off and it was killing me that I might not be able to make another harvest trip before the season ended.
I saw that today was only calling for 3' swells, but I know how that goes and it's always 2x as big by the next morning so I didn't uncover the boat or even pack to go.  I woke up at 4:30 am and saw that it was increased, but not bad at all.  The afternoon was to begin small craft advisories, so I hooked up the boat and threw some gear in.  I hate doing this as I always manage to forget something.

The sunrise dow the bay was awesome.  There were only two trailers at Dana, so I knew it would be spacious fishing out there.

I realized I forgot my camera, so I would only have my phone to take pics.  Bait was hard to come by and I only made 6 perefect little greenbacks.  My meter was all lit up with bait and I had no clue what it was.

I shot over to La Jolla looking for a harvest and immediately hooked up on a nice ling!  As I saw him just get to deep color, I thought I saw a shark shoot over and grab it!  I soon realized that it wasn't a shark, but a friggand fur bag!  He popped up next to the boat thrashing around a 26-27" lingcod.  Ugh, how sick.

I decided to save the macks and dropped down a strip bait (Skippy) on the sinker and started to mess around with some rockfish.  My first rockfish was a beauty!  I was a 3 or 4 pound red and I was amped.  WHOOSH!
From under the boat, another sea lion shot out and grabbed my red!  I am PISSED now!

I finally hok one and crank my butt off to get it in the boat....  Of course, even the sea dogs don't want a Boccaccio....

I saw the dogs on the fish finder, but tried again.  I hooked up and was reeling in another red when one of the dogs ripped it off my hook.. again and it was another nice red.  AHHHHHH!

I decided to make a move and went to a spot I apparently hit frequently.  lol

I hook what I thought was a nice rockfish and cranked my butt off again just in case the dogs followed me.  Unfortunately it was a damn deep water calico!  The stomach was blown out and it puked red crab all over the boat.  I tossed him back in immediately to hopefully save him as he was only 13" and couldn't get my phone out for a pic just to kill him.  I did get a shot of all the crab from his gullet.

RED CRAB ARE EVERYWHERE!!  They aren't floating, but there are clouds of them everywhere from MB to LJ.  I dropped down two more times nd got two more calico.. both 12-13 inches and I left that spot as I didn't want to accidentally kill any and that's all I saw on the fish finder.

I moved back to the spot where the sea lions stole my fish and dropped a mack down immediately since there was no sights of the dawgs.
Man, a fresh mack on the bottom here=INSTANT BENDO!  I saw it in deep color and another big lingcod!  Just then I saw one of the dogs sound next to the boat after a breath and watched the bastard shoot strainght to the ling and grab him... Ling no more!  Grrrrr!!!!  I needed a gun at this point!

I shot out to a deep water spot and it was just tough fishing.  I did pick up a nice rockfish here and there as this chucklehead...

Fishing was super slow and I jumped from spot to spot for just scraps.  I ran back to the rockpile, but stopped short in hopes to not get their attention.  I saw some GREAT marks mid water on the fish finder and dropped down a mack!  BAMN!  I was on!  I saw a deep flash and pretty sure it was a yellow.  Gauging from the fight, I would have said a 10 or 12 pound model, but not sure... Just then, it was gone and the dogs showed up.  Not really sure what happened, but I was about ready to quit and just head in.  I decided to stop in some more shallow water spots on my way in and toss some plastics..  This is what I wanted to do.. catch fish and have fun!

I caught 8 Sculpin, all in the 12-13 inch range.  I almost kept them, but couldn't remember if they closed them or not.  I kind of recalled them being closed, so I tossed them back (Later to find out thank goodness I did!)

I was amazed how many sculping were around and how aggressive they were.  I moved on to the next spot and hit pay dirt!  Well, Turd Dirt!

I had a few dozen fish on, but only got about a dozen in.  All legal fish in a cookie cutter 15" range.  I saw schools of 10 or so following up my hooked one!  It was great and for the next hour just had fun throwing the plastic for constant action!

I kept two and just released the rest as they weren't exactly what I wanted for table fare.  All of a sudden the bite stopped.  I was puzzled for all about 2 minutes when a sea lion popped up and shut off that bite.  UGH....

I decided to call it quits as I ended up on a good note and pretty happy how it ended even though it could have been a GREAT trip if I got those lings, reds and yellow up into the boat!

Oh well.... Next time.

On the way in, I passed the famous Mission Bay Tumbleweeds floating by.  I never get tired of seeing these water tumbleweed!  LOL

Well, until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Wish I could have made it. Thanks for the dark thirty text anyway. Looks like a good day except for the dogs.

WheresMyBeer

Bummer dude.

You know where I stand on those damn things. >:(

BenCantrell

Dang, that sucks about the sea lions.  Sounds like you hooked into a lot of nice fish though.

faster u fool

That drives  me crazy :o :o :o >:( >:( >:(next time start a yt bite rumor around the corner and drop the bags off to the other boats. ::)
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

scisports

Cayenne pepper or habanero sauce stuffed into a Mack......
Heard that gets em moving along.