News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

First Fish of 2016 (1/2)

Started by Latimeria, January 02, 2016, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

What a day it could have been.  I had no inkling to take my boat out fishing, but an old friend was in town and wanted to go.  We had a lot of catching up to do, so no better way to catch up than to get some winter yellows!

We got to the launch, only to have to remove some tumbleweeds as they lined the entire ramp!

It took us an hour to make bait outside the inlet, but we did pretty good and got plenty for some soaking.

We made it to the grounds to see that everything had shifted in the past few days and we compensated ready to go.  I had everything prepped the night before and had no plans to be under gunned.  We got there to see a few 20-30 pound class yellows caught and we couldn't get a sniff on the heavy iron or live macks.  I finally go bendo, but it was a heavy slow run which made me believe it was a big BSB (there were a few caught).  I couldn't get the damn rod out of the holder there was so much pressure, but it did a big headshake a few minutes after getting the rod out that he threw the hook.   :-[

It seemed it would be my only shot and Joe was just finding ways to not catch them as well.  We got a few calls telling us the bite was on and we apparently missed it, but we hit a few of my money spots to see if we could turn things around.

BTW, the red crab extended for 10 miles in every direction.  I was reeling them up on my heavy iron and we were scooping them where ever we went.  It was ridiculous on the biomass of crab there was!

We hit one spot where I got snagged on some derelict fishing gear and pulled up an old gill net.  The bastard was still strong and most likely killing things down there.

I also hooked a Cucumber which puked up a brittlestar.  Nasty creatures!

Joe was trying his butt off, but we were getting really low on fuel and we had to make a decision.  Joe wanted bass and I said the only thing to save us now is to go for bass and butts since the yellows dissed us for everyone else's cooler.  (Joe was really the spinner man and didn't like the conventional as I could tell)

We started working the halibut grounds hard and could not find a bass to save our lives.  I was dripping the biggest macks we had on the dropper loop and finally got the hit I was waiting for.  I thought it was a yellow at first since it did not let up and ripped tight drag all the way to the surface.  Once it saw the light it ripped right back down again (I was using the rod that Skrilla made for me  :D ).  I thought for sure this was going to be another "Lost a big one" moments, but got him turned and up to gaff.  Joe stuck him perfectly on the first shot and the hook popped out after he was swung on board!

Welcome to 2016 little flatty!   A 23.8 pound flatty is my first fish of 2016 and I'm pretty damn happy about it!

We fished until 3 and ran back to the barn.  as I was 10 feet away from putting the boat on the trailer, the motor stalled!  Fock!!!!  I needed some assistance getting it on the trailer by Joe, but we checked the fuel tank... EMPTY!   Not a drop in it!  Wow, a nice halibut and super lucky to boot!

Well, a great start to 2016.  I hope I could keep this rolling!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Worthy fish.

Funny how much Joe looks like my wife's cousin.

skrilla

Way to break in the new year.  8)

WheresMyBeer

Meh ...

It's not even 30# ... pssshh ...

Latimeria

I was so depressed when we realized we missed the yellow bite and I lost something big again.  It was such a relief and burden off my shoulders when I aquired the Plan B Target! Happy 2016 indeed!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

faster u fool

GET OUT AND GET BIT..