News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Illinois stream wading

Started by BenCantrell, February 01, 2016, 06:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

Howdy folks!  I was feeling desperate last weekend because I hadn't caught a fish in January, so I drove to a spot 2 hrs from home that's always been reliable in winter for smallmouth bass.  I almost never fish artificials when I'm trying to catch new species for my lifelist, so this was a good opportunity to try out different jigs and lures and just enjoy being in the water.  Got six species all together: smallmouth bass, rock bass, green sunfish, longear sunfish, striped shiner, and creek chub.  The one species that I was hoping for but didn't come across was spotted bass.  I took way more photos than was necessary, but I hope you guys enjoy them anyway.

Latimeria

Wow, Ben!  That brings back a lot of memories when I would fish the streams back east.  Lots of bass, rock bass and sunfish!  Super cool trip and thanks for sharing that.  I have to admit, I thought you guys would be under 4 feet of snow by now! lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

Great report!  I love fishing streams and it looks like you had a blast!

BenCantrell

Quote from: Latimeria on February 02, 2016, 06:43:00 AM
I thought you guys would be under 4 feet of snow by now! lol

People were ice fishing in central Illinois last week, but over the weekend it warmed up quite a bit, so I doubt they are now.  Probably the end of the season.  I'm usually not brave enough to ice fish around here.

greyhoundfan

Pinoyfisher

That's a pretty productive stream!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on February 04, 2016, 02:12:43 PM
That's a pretty productive stream!

I was fishing below the city's waste water discharge.  :-[

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: BenCantrell on February 05, 2016, 10:05:20 AM