News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Calico hook sizes

Started by spideyjg, February 22, 2016, 02:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

Gonna rig a bass rod for tomorrow but the 10/0 Demon circles may be a bit much for calicos and smaller baits. I was going to rig smaller but what size would you go down to?

I have some 2oz sputniks and was thinking a 5/0 circle on a drop shot of 20lb mono with a single baby octopus, crab, pelagic crab, or squish.

Jim

raychavez91

the 1's I've bin getting have bin on 8/0-10/0 siwash style hooks.
The big 1 from last week was on a 5/0 light wire circle, on 40# shock leader, go figure.
I kept 1 the other day and it had a good size octopus and ghost shrimp!

Latimeria

I've always got mine on the 8/0 octopus, but If I were going down to 20#, I think a 5/0 would be a perfect size.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

A big legal calico will have no problem with a 10/0 hook.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

Just picked up some 4,5,6/0 for the 20# rod. Rigged a 5/0 up first.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Jim

raychavez91

Only 1 more thing to consider,
I was fising smaller baits on my smaller setup for bass,  I had wire still, just in case. Go figure got a 7gill on it.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: raychavez91 on February 23, 2016, 06:49:27 AM
Only 1 more thing to consider,
I was fising smaller baits on my smaller setup for bass,  I had wire still, just in case. Go figure got a 7gill on it.

Very good point.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

No wire but I got a spool of line and weights in case I get broke off a lot.

Jim