News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Scoping beaches

Started by lamnidae, February 24, 2016, 08:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

Google Earth is my best friend too. Watch the elevations because what appears to be a promising location may butt right up against a bluff. As the tide comes in you may get pushed into a uncastable scenario and depending on tides/surf maybe a dangerous one.

You can drag the street view guy down and drop him on some beaches to see how thin it may be.

Surfline cams good to scope current conditions. Watch for salad mounds on the sand in addition to the surf and the amount of Moes in the water.

Jim

WheresMyBeer

Google earth and street view for sure. Think I've even spotted the "Squatch" before ...

lamnidae

Great advice. I've looked at Google Earth and Maps, looked at NOAA charts up along the beach, read various fishing books and online blogs.
I believe having buddy connections is the best up to date information one can have.

Eric H

vdisney

Do yourself a favor if you're scouting up this way...................if you see 6 or 7 of us fishing go somewhere else cause we suck!  Haven't heard a clicker in so long I forget what they sound like  :'(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

I google earthed one of my spots recently and saw a huge helicopter on the beach!?!?  That doesn't mean you have to start looking for a helicopter now, but just a weird thing GE caught on a photograph fly-by.

I also saw 5 guys on a beach in LA with a 200 lb bat on the beach, but not sure how long ago that pic was taken.   :o ;D
Sorry guys, I couldnt help it.   ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

WheresMyBeer

Saw that helicopter when I sent my friend a pin drop on where to meet up for surf fishing (perch). Thought that was pretty funny.

Fish Jerk

The best way I found to locate spots was to stick a gps tracker on Tom's car while i was down there for the grinner gather. I have a comprehensive list of all his secret spots now. ;D

Latimeria

Quote from: Fish Jerk on February 27, 2016, 09:23:20 AM
The best way I found to locate spots was to stick a gps tracker on Tom's car while i was down there for the grinner gather. I have a comprehensive list of all his secret spots now. ;D

I don't even tell my wife where I fish as she can inadvertently spill the beans at work without realizing!  LOL
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

j.rasta

Quote from: Latimeria on February 27, 2016, 09:25:57 AM
Quote from: Fish Jerk on February 27, 2016, 09:23:20 AM

I don't even tell my wife where I fish as she can inadvertently spill the beans at work without realizing!  LOL

Better hope she doesn't frequent the boards B)

lamnidae

I saw that helicopter too. Very odd.