News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Best Way to Get the Hook Out of a Shark?

Started by BackBayMan, February 28, 2016, 07:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackBayMan

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Dead Sharks and Missing Fingers Too!

So what's the consensus on the best way to get the hook out of a shark with some real teeth?

Do you guys grab your set of trusty channel locks or large vise grips with wire cutter?

Given that we want to get the critter back in the water as soon as possible, why not just use bolt cutters every time? 
Anybody have an emergency beer?

Eric H

Just use needle nose pliers, gets the hook out quick no problem.

Latimeria

http://fish.shimano.com/media/images/fishing/products/SAC/Gear/L_brutas-bluewater-tools_v1_m56577569830569844.jpg

Best surf pliers for big game. Wire cutters are hard core and plier's grip is 20x of the best needlenose. They can get you out of a pinch really quick. Got them for $10 on sale, but usually cost $50ish
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

Quote from: Latimeria on February 28, 2016, 07:31:24 PM
http://fish.shimano.com/media/images/fishing/products/SAC/Gear/L_brutas-bluewater-tools_v1_m56577569830569844.jpg

Best surf pliers for big game. Wire cutters are hard core and plier's grip is 20x of the best needlenose. They can get you out of a pinch really quick. Got them for $10 on sale, but usually cost $50ish

Tom,
Those look nice. What brand are they?

Latimeria

Mine are Shimano, but there are a few similar brands.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Quote from: BackBayMan on February 28, 2016, 07:07:07 PMSo what's the consensus on the best way to get the hook out of a shark with some real teeth?

Let someone else do it  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WheresMyBeer

I use something close to this.

http://www.jiggingworld.com/anglers-choice-tblp-095-9-5-push-pull-hook-remover/

Something about small pliers and twitchy sharks with pointy teeth ... why take a chance.

BackBayMan

QuoteSomething about small pliers and twitchy sharks with pointy teeth ... why take a chance.

I'm with Where's My Beer on this one in terms of safety. But why futz with it at all? Why not just cut the hook and get the critter back in the water ASAP?

I'm old and need a beer and a smoke after catching something big anyways, tying on a new rig doesn't take that long and I can afford it, so why not just cut the hook?
Anybody have an emergency beer?

sasquatch

I guess cutting the hook is fine as long as you get all the pieces picked up.

WheresMyBeer

That hook remover in my link works fast. Slide down line into mouth and give a shove. Probably just as fast trying to bolt cut a hook.

What really takes time is ... "Sh!t, the camera is in the bag" ... and "crap, left the tape measure in the bag" (after getting camera) ... the back and forth on the beach  ;D ;D ;D

Eric H

If u cut the hook I'd imagine half of it would fall into the sharks mouth, good luck on getting that back.

The de hooker may be complicated if your using circles, idk never tried it.

I don't see what's wrong with pliers.

raychavez91

If it's gut hooked,  I just cut it.
Around the mouth I just use my crimpers to pop it out.

sasquatch

WheresMyBeer

Fish Jerk

:o
You can always use a 2 ft section of 4" or 5" pvc to slide over your arm for those deep hooks. LOL