News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Batting strike out, Leo saves the night

Started by Fish Jerk, February 29, 2016, 06:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish Jerk

I decided to try for an LA bat again this Sunday, Noone else was available, so flew solo.

Had a small run first, maybe 3-4 yds, poof gone before I even got the rod out of the holder. I reeled in to check bait and found a perfect 1/2 circle cut out of Bonito head (neck area). It looked clean cut, I can only assume it was a small grinner that couldnt get the whole bait in its mouth. the 1/2 circle cut was only about 2 1/2 inches wide.

About an hour later, I got a good run on my closest rod. After a decent fight, the 54" Leo hits the beach.

After another hour got another short run on the far rod. This one seemed bat-ish, medium slow run for about 4-5 yds, Just as I get the rod in my hands, I feel the fish drop it. I let it sit for a few minutes, but it never came back.  Checked the bait to find the bottom 1/2 of the mac tail crushed flat up to bend of the hook. I figure it was a small bat that didn't get the whole bait in its mouth before swimming off with its dinner.

That was it for the night. Not normally a super productive night, but compared to what we've been seeing up in the LA are this year, I am not really gonna complain.

raychavez91

Nice session rod. The bats are just waiting till the last minute to show ;)

lamnidae

vdisney

Quote from: raychavez91 on February 29, 2016, 06:12:31 PM
The bats are just waiting till the last minute to show ;)

That's what I keep telling myself  :o
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

Last Leopard I've seen was at the Grinner Gathering when you caught a few nice ones!  I bet Verne would have been happy with a few bites in the last few trips.   :o ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

WheresMyBeer

vdisney

Quote from: Latimeria on March 01, 2016, 06:13:59 AMI bet Verne would have been happy with a few bites in the last few trips.   :o ;D

>:(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

I don't think I've caught a fish out the ocean all year

BackBayMan

QuoteI don't think I've caught a fish out the ocean all year

Could be your rod is too stiff and they're feeling the resistance. Maybe you should try something with a little softer tip, like an Ugly Stik ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?