News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Bass-Almost Bass-Bass (4/2)

Started by Latimeria, April 03, 2016, 10:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I met Ray and Starfish out in the surf last night in hopes to get redemption for last weeks missed soupie.  It wasn't long before all the missed bass bites turned into a nice model.

Ray got on the board with his first eel of the year.

It was getting late and the bass were stealing baits left and right.  All of a sudden, I see my glow stick bounce and grabbed the rod out of the holder.  By the time I prepared to set the hook into what I thought was a calico, the rod loaded up with something big.  Solid hookset, and the fish headed west!  It was a medium run with some bursts, but I felt the occasional tail slaps.  It felt different for sure and had what felt like a head shake.  I was getting deep into my braid as I could not turn him or the handle at all and he just kept going....  I'm not sure if it was a tail slap or a head shake, but the hook pulled after taking all that line.  I was so sick to my stomach.

Ironically, the day before I posted my big black sea bass on FB as all of my surf BSB's have been in April.  It started setting in that is exactly what my big bsb felt like and now he's gone.  Ray even inadvertantly jinxed me by telling me about the leaderboard ...within a second of him telling me, it was gone.  I think I even saw Ray give a fist pump!  :o

Oh well, I stayed a few more hours and got one 'Non-bass" like bite and finally caught a decent calico on my last bait of the evening.

I would not have been so bummed if I was sure it was a Bat Ray, but by no means was it.  Definitely not a soupie hit and run.  I thought it was a huge sevengill at first, but it never wanted to run the shoreline... only straight out which all of my bsb and Steve's did when we got ours.

Oh well, it was still fun hanging out there with Ray and Starfish.  We saw some killer fireballs in the sky also but maybe I should have wished on one that i didn't lose my big opportunity.  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Woke up this morning and saw your texts. I was bummed for you.

Decent bycatch though.

After my ordeal driving yesterday I was just too burnt to join you. After my first beer, I rallied a little, but it turned out to only be enough to go get my second.

lamnidae

Bass bycatch, runaway BSB, and the thoughts of "WTF was that" to lullaby one to sleep. Still a good night out.
One day, even I will talk of the leader board on a post. LOL!

raychavez91

Ended up staying till 2 am. Im not gonna lie, I passed out on the sand.
Had a few bites, no real commitment. Got an eel, which I debated on choping up for bait. But mehh. "Only" lost 3 rigs. Won't stop me.
I'll be out Monday, Tuesday Wendsday, Thursday, in search of grinners...and that top spot...

lamnidae

Ray, you sir,are hardcore!

SevengillTheVC

Damn looks like I need to get out and put some more grinners on this board ;D. Nice bass guys, sucks on the potential missed BSB Tom!!!

Fish Jerk

Heading up north to try for a contender.

Pinoyfisher

Bummer about the shoulda, coulda, and woulda Tom! I'm hitting the sand this week for sure! No Binh since he's out of town, so solo I'll be flying.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

Some nice bass there  8)

Bummer about the lost fish, happens to the best of us.

Nice lookin eel there too.

vdisney

Bummer Tom, I guess that's what keeps us coming back.  Nice bass  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

WheresMyBeer