News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Local San Diego shore grind

Started by faster u fool, April 14, 2016, 06:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faster u fool

Took a few free hours and a break in the storm to hit some Local San Diego shore line.  I wanted some beach Calicos as the new tin boat is being rebuilt.  The conditions looked great, small surf incoming tide.  wasn't sure where to go so I fell back on one of my old areas.  I left early and the rain was heavy all the way down the hill.  It broke as I arrived at the coast.  stoked on the conditions flat water I made my way to the shore.  walked and casted forever before I found some willing calicos  I was throwing my new team daiwa 1102 mhfs with the emcast 6000a long casting surf reel.  Bait was a daiwa salt pro minnow in sardine color.  the Calicos were going off.  caught a bunch of them but nothing too big.   I looked for better water and found some real fishy looking stuff.  I blasted out a great cast and as soon as the bait hit the water a fish blew up on it.  I didn't even have a chance to flip the bail before it took line. I finally got the fish to tight line and to the rocks.  I about crapped when I saw it was a Yellow tail.  And a good one.  fought it and ,made my way to the edge to grab it when a wave tumbled it and it was gone....Ohhh my god..   Kept at it and another real long cast.  two cranks in I'm on.  thoughtnit was the bass I was after,  but the yellow fins proved me wrong.  I tried to baby the fish but the waves kept taking it into the reef.  I waited for the set to come in and washed it up on the rocks.  BOOOOM.  Goal met.  Yellowtail from the surf.  What a day.  Not a huge fish but a nice size.  Now for a big one...
bombing the big rod

Almost wide open on the little calicos

the Yellow.  so stoked.

GET OUT AND GET BIT..

sasquatch

lamnidae

That is a definite surf fisherman's bucket list. Awesome that you got one in April. Last year, people were hot to nab a surf caught Yellowtail.
Next, a surf caught Hammerhead or Mako.

SurffishingSean

Wow Super stoked! My type of fishing.  8)

vdisney

Quote from: Eric H on April 14, 2016, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: sasquatch on April 14, 2016, 06:55:10 PM
So f ing cool.
X2

X3...............congrats my man, you are a member of a very excluvise club.  Gotta ask, was the Salt Minnow sinking or swimming?  Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

WSB... now yellows... from shore!  Bravo Chris!  You're an animal.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

Quote from: vdisney on April 15, 2016, 05:24:20 AM
Quote from: Eric H on April 14, 2016, 06:58:02 PM
Quote from: sasquatch on April 14, 2016, 06:55:10 PM
So f ing cool.
X2

X3...............congrats my man, you are a member of a very excluvise club.  Gotta ask, was the Salt Minnow sinking or swimming?  Verne

its the floating.  swims three ft deep.  like a big flash minnow, only better.  and half the price.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

faster u fool

Thanks guys.  it was a treat indeed.  I bought the surf set up just for this reason.  hope to find bigger as the season heats up.
GET OUT AND GET BIT..

Sharkinthedark II

Congrats! Nice lookin" rig too  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

SevengillTheVC

raychavez91

j.rasta