News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Tugging on some Tanks! Sharky time soon? 4/17

Started by SurffishingSean, April 17, 2016, 09:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SurffishingSean

Another two great days batting. Last night Rick an I had a 2.5 hour sunset session and landed a total of 5 between 44-50" I broke in my new Okuma Longitude 12' and Penn Spinfisher 8500 loaded with 65lb braid. I plan to eventually fish with 80lb shock leader and 170lb sevalon coated wire on a 3 way swivel rig. The set up is a bit heavy but its not a problem if you take a sit every now and then. The Longitude is a weighs a bit more than my prevail  but can cast much better than my 12' penn prevail.

Today i went out with Supra97Turbo and his Friend Art for a mid day session and conditions were great. White caps for about 2 hours but it was no issue with the 5 and 6 oz pyramids we were chucking. We were fishing an outgoing/incoming low tide from .5-2'most of the day. With our rod holders further up the beach the grass in the skinny became somewhat of an issue. . Hook ups first cast and a steady bite all day. We landed i believe 10, I had the hot spot and landed 6 with 3 in the mid 40"s, 2 50"s and a 53". Two hooks pulled with one being a nice bat that popped in the skinny, I'm sure it had something to do with all the seaweed on it. One Huge one that took a lot of line started rubbing against some outer reef and i started to get that awful vibrating feeling. Popped 15 seconds later.

50"

Supra landed his PB, 1/4" under 50" Congrats!! His friend Art also landed one around the same size!

As i was battling my 53" my second rod goes off and I told Supra to grab it and fight the fish. Our lines started going in the same direction and we worked it out. I saw the my spool on Supra's fish and fought my fish towards him to investigate. 30 seconds later i get there and we see the metal from the end of the spool. I Cranked down the drag and it kept pulling. We both started thumbing the spool as a few yards were left and it popped. It was another monster! The reel only had about 230 yards of line due to me losing about 40 yds on a reef ripper the other day & Cheap braid( Kast king) Which is much larger diameter than Power Pro. Not sure how i landed the 55.5" a few days ago on that reel.

Here is my 53"

Hope I get into some sharks soon! Gotta start soaking that Mac more. I'd like to pull on some Leo's. soupie or 7 gill would be a major plus! That grinner on the spinner is coming guys!
:wink:

Thanks for reading everyone :D

SevengillTheVC

Nice ones yet again! I have a SpinFisher 9500 as my shark reel too, it actually performs really good, I don't feel I get as good of distance as a nicely cast baitcaster, but the absence of any birds nests is a plus. Your spots in Malibu probably have some soupies hanging around and a friend who dives there says he see's 7s and blues right off the beach!

Latimeria

My first few grinners (Sevengills) were on the spinner, but I tangled into something a little bigger and I went straight to a bigger conventional after realizing I was under gunned.  Honestly, if you could get those bruiser bats in on a spinner, you'll be good with a grinner!   8)

Nice session again guys!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

Anybody have an emergency beer?

lamnidae

sasquatch

Fish Jerk

Ever since you got that staph infection, you've been converted to the dark side. It's fun to see you the same effort into the long rod as you normally do with the light rod. Hit me up some time and well go for your 7.

j.rasta

Pinoyfisher

I love those Penn Spinfisher V reels!! Such affordable tanks.

I have yet to hook and fight a big 7 gill, so, I may be wrong in my assumption, but I feel a surf bat over 50" would be the toughest fighting fish from the surf that can be caught with some regularity. 
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

I can certainly tell you, a bat Ray will no doubt out fight the 7. I've had a 47 inch bat power out 100yds with my fathom buttoned down to ~25lbs of drag. Although I have not caught one, I bet comparable sized Black Sea bass would give the bat a run for its money.

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on April 18, 2016, 02:24:28 PM

I have yet to hook and fight a big 7 gill, so, I may be wrong in my assumption, but I feel a surf bat over 50" would be the toughest fighting fish from the surf that can be caught with some regularity.

X2 (except for big soupies)

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on April 18, 2016, 06:12:14 PM

Soupfins are short lived. Bats are all about endurance.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: Fish Jerk on April 18, 2016, 10:27:07 AM
Ever since you got that staph infection, you've been converted to the dark side. It's fun to see you the same effort into the long rod as you normally do with the light rod. Hit me up some time and well go for your 7.
"The Darkside" LOL  ;D...that's how they think of it over on that light blue site I feel . Go incognito Sean   :-X
JOE

Latimeria

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on April 18, 2016, 06:27:02 PM
Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on April 18, 2016, 06:12:14 PM

Soupfins are short lived. Bats are all about endurance.
All from a single sample...   ;D

Soupies don't give up the entire time, but big bats in the surf can make you hurt the next day for sure!  lol
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Denny's had his 7500 for 2 1/2 years, works as smoothly as the day it was new  ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect