News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Visiting CA again

Started by BenCantrell, May 18, 2016, 12:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

I'll be coming out to Escondido June 25th to July 11th!  My boss has agreed to let me work remotely.  He says if this two week trip goes well, then we can discuss doing more and/or longer visits in the future.  I'm pretty stoked about it!  My main fishing goal will be to learn to surf fish, both with lures and with bait.  My only "long" rod is an Okuma spinning 4-piece, 10 ft, MH.

http://www.tackledirect.com/okuma-nts-s-1004mh-nomad-travel-surf-rod-10-ft.html

I have a Shimano Baitrunner 8000oc to use with bait, and when I throw lures I'll probably just use one of my Penn Fierce 6000's that I've been using for everything saltwater.  The Shimano has 40 lb braid, and I'll add some 30 lb mono or fluoro on top so the braid isn't in the water.  The Penn has 20 lb braid, and I'll add some 12 or 15 lb fluoro on top.

http://www.tackledirect.com/shimano-btr8000oc-baitrunner-oc-spinning-reel.html
http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-frcii6000-fierce-ii-spinning-reel.html

For smaller stuff closer to shore I have a 7.5 ft Browning rod and Penn Battle 2000 with 6 lb fluoro.

http://www.basspro.com/Browning-Fishing-Safari-Travel-Spinning-Rod/product/1407030701442/
http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-btlii2000-battle-ii-spinning-reel.html

I don't plan on targeting anything bigger than a leopard shark.  Mostly I'll be trying to figure out the various surf species regardless of how big or small they are.  Any of the surfperch, halibut, corbina, croakers (other than yellowfin), guitarfish, and leopard shark would all be new for me.  As far as lures I have a variety of spoons, swimbaits, and jigs that I use for freshwater, and when I come out I'll pick out a couple of Krocodiles and Lucky Craft minnows to round things out.

Does my plan sound reasonable?

Pinoyfisher

Sounds reasonable. As far as long rodding for the big stuff, I'm sure there's plenty on the board who could probably loan you more appropriate gear and join you. I can loan you some gear if needed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on May 18, 2016, 02:19:54 PM
Sounds reasonable. As far as long rodding for the big stuff, I'm sure there's plenty on the board who could probably loan you more appropriate gear and join you. I can loan you some gear if needed.

I'm not surprised by the offer!  You guys are insanely generous.  However, I want to start working my way up the food chain more slowly this time.  Catching that big ray on Tom's gear was incredibly fun, but if I did it again with a big shark I'd start to feel like a mooch.  Long term plan is to move to CA permanently.  Once that happens I'll invest in gear for the big boys.

BenCantrell

Just a few days until I'm out there!  I have a  lot of gear to pack, probably more than any other trip because of how different the different styles of fishing are.  Still hoping to catch a fish or two from the surf, so I'll be bringing the stuff I posted above like I originally planned.

My friend Eli (bigminnowfisher on scsurffishing) and I are talking about doing another boat rental for an offshore trip.  We want to try for new species in some of the really deep canyons in the LA area (but not break any groundfish regulations in the process).  I've read through the regs a few times, and it looks like we'll be legal going deeper than 360 feet as long as we're targeting flatfish.

Here's the setup I'm putting together for deep dropping:

Penn Fathom 40 2-speed lever drag
http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-fth40nld2-lever-drag-2-speed-reel.html

Penn Rampage jigging rod 50-100 lb
http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-ramjg50100c62-rampage-jigging-rod-conventional.html

550 yds of 65 lb multi-color braid
http://www.tackledirect.com/daiwa-j-braid-multi-color-filler-spool-500m.html

The reel claims it can hold 655 yds of 65 lb braid, but I had to go quite a bit past the "max fill" line to get the full 550 yds on it.  I kept it under tension as I cranked, but maybe with more experience I'll be able to pack it on tighter.  Oh well, it fits, barely.

I have some 60 lb fluoro for top shot or terminal tackle, but a few people have told me that they skip the top shot for deep dropping - they just use braid to a snap swivel and then attach the terminal tackle directly.  I haven't put together any terminal tackle yet, but I plan to use a variety of circle hook sizes with some keeping the bait off the bottom (like a big sabiki) and others putting bait on the bottom (reverse dropper loop).

Not sure whether they'll help or not, but I also picked up two lights, one multi-colored and one green.

Since we don't know if deep dropping will be productive or not, we're also going to chum at the surface to see if we can get some pelagic sharks to show up.  If they're small we'll try for them with lighter tackle, but if they're pretty big then we'll reel up our deep drop rigs and swap them out for wire leaders and fluoro top shot.  And who knows, maybe we'll end up in an area where bluefin tuna are biting.  The priority will be deep dropping, but we'll try to stay flexible.

With that all said, here are my goals:

1) pier fish and get at least one new species and catch mackerel for bait/chum
2) surf fish and get at least one new species (halibut I hope!)
3) deep drop and get at least one species that you would never encounter inshore
4) meet up with some of you guys and learn more about surf fishing for sharks

For that last goal I'm perfectly happy for it to not involve me fishing.  Ruoxi and I would love to meet up, provide some food, and help out with photos or moving gear around or whatever else would be helpful.  PM me for my phone number if you'd like to meet up.  :D

Latimeria

Well, you'll be in good hands with this group.  I think you could easily accomplish all those goals in the time you are out here.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

This Sunday (the 26th) I'll be going to Oceanside Pier for a bait run.  Send me a message if you'll be in the area!

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: BenCantrell on June 24, 2016, 03:11:23 PM
This Sunday (the 26th) I'll be going to Oceanside Pier for a bait run.  Send me a message if you'll be in the area!

If you have trouble making bait there, OB has a pretty decent bite going on macks.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

Surf is set to be nasty all weekend but Monday night drops to the lowest level on the forecast up to 6 foot but that is the lowest.  >:(

The forecast tends to be off on the high side many times though.

Get you some bait just in case Ben.

Jim

BenCantrell

Quote from: spideyjg on June 24, 2016, 03:50:05 PM
Surf is set to be nasty all weekend but Monday night drops to the lowest level on the forecast up to 6 foot but that is the lowest.  >:(

The forecast tends to be off on the high side many times though.

Get you some bait just in case Ben.

Jim

I need a translation for what this means regarding going to the pier on Sunday.  :-\

Keep in mind that 99% of my life has been spent surrounded by corn fields.

sasquatch

Hit the pier. Bait is beyond the surf.

spideyjg

Well, the pier is no worry the point is that if any of us are going to hit the surf to fish it will likely be Monday. I know you mentioned wanting to go with anyone hitting the sand. I'll decide on Sunday if I'm going to give it a shot.

Monday may be the only night to put them to use in the forecast.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/georges-seaside-reef-southern-california_4787/

I use Surfline for the forecast and this location as a reference point. Scroll down and see the 6 day chart.

My yewt was spent mainly in swamps so tides and surf took some getting used to in planning.

Jim

BenCantrell

I'm doing well with my goals!

1) pier fish and get at least one new species and catch mackerel for bait/chum
- Got the new species, but failed miserably at collecting bait.  Will need to go back to a pier on at least one weekday evening this week.

2) surf fish and get at least one new species (halibut I hope!)
- Done!  Halibut and barred surf perch this morning.

3) deep drop and get at least one species that you would never encounter inshore
- Coming up this weekend.

4) meet up with some of you guys and learn more about surf fishing for sharks
- Done!  Took plenty of mental notes watching Tom and Steve fish for sharks.  Didn't get to see any big sharks landed, but that's ok.