News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Legal Halibut On The LC AM Report 5/25/16

Started by HalibutJoel99, May 25, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalibutJoel99

So here's how the day started. Half woke up to the sound of rain, and fell back asleep. Went out to the car and I wasn't dreaming. No wind was a good thing though. Headed to the beach and when I got there I was completely blown away. I couldn't hear the waves, no wind. I kept saying to myself, Wow! This is what we all wait for. These times are rare and special. Water is pretty warm. I just couldn't believe there was barely any waves. It was like a pond at times.

Started chucking the LC and the water was crystal clear, the moon was out shining brightly. I just wanted to savior the moment, I didn't want it to end to be honest.  First 30 minutes of casting in all directions I didn't get a bite. I went back in to retie and had a few sips of coffee. But kept my confidence high. Getting close to first light I go back to casting and on my second cast. I feel a nice thump on the line. Set the hook and I knew I had a decent fighter on the line. It was far out though and knew I had a long way back in.

Kept the line tight, she starts swimming in as I'm walking backwards. Then she realizes the waters getting shallower and makes a run for it. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz goes the line. I always check the drag before fishing, learned that lesson many times too. Lines still tight, getting closer, slipping and sliding a little. another zzzzzzzzzzzz goes the line. Finally get close to beaching her and see one treble in her mouth, she starts flapping crazy and I'm still good. Adrenaline pumping A little further more to go and she can't escape. Finally as I beached her and gave just a tiny bit of slack the treble pops out like nothing. WOW! That feeling is intense.

I forgot to mention all the stingrays I saw, and really didn't care to see. The water was just so clear. One Frisbee sized Round Ray swam by and grazed my right calf with his wing. I looked down and saw it keep it going. Phew!!!

Was happy though to get my First legal Halibut for 2016. Here are some pictures.

Taped shots

Close up

Still saw a lot of baitfish out there. Thanks for reading and good luck out there! Until next tide.

Joel

1morecast

That LC is a great mimic of the grunion that we saw the other night. Should be prime Hali bite right now. Congrats on the first of 2016 ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

vdisney

Congrats on the first of '16, one of many to follow I'm sure  8)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Latimeria

Congrats on the legal, Joel!  Well deserved.

I bumped into a guy last night that on his surf fishing first trip ever in cali gets a 24" butt and a calico.  Funny how that goes sometime.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

faster u fool

GET OUT AND GET BIT..