News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

On location

Started by spideyjg, May 29, 2016, 08:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

Broken off by a big bat. Felt no shakes or slaps.
Got half my shock leader  back.

Jim

Eric H

Check your line for nicks & abrasion routinely.

Also make sure your drag is set properly.

spideyjg

Lost another rig to a snag, and a third to a major shark hit. Shakes and slaps for about 3 seconds and pop  went the leader  >:( :'( >:(.

Did get a 19" sand bass  for dinner though.

Several itsy bitsy Leo's

Jim

Latimeria

The sharks seem awfully more awnry than usual lately.  Well, you had a shot and that's all I hope for every trip... Just one shot at a glory fish.

Nicely done, Jim.  8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

Those little leos can be a nuisance. Your luck lately has been similar to mine. We'll get ours soon!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on May 30, 2016, 07:36:56 AM
Those little leos can be a nuisance. Your luck lately has been similar to mine. We'll get ours soon!

The Leos came on the spinner long rod after I lost the rig. I slapped on some 20 and tossed it out with squish to survey shark foodsource activity.

A bunch of small Leos is a good sign for other larger fare.

There wasn't good sticking sand and the "ray" pulled it down and was hauling it out to sea.  >:( Luckily it didn't fill with sand.

Does anybody make a sand spike with a kickstand?

Jim

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: spideyjg on May 30, 2016, 11:21:30 AM
Quote from: Pinoyfisher on May 30, 2016, 07:36:56 AM

The Leos came on the spinner long rod after I lost the rig. I slapped on some 20 and tossed it out with squish to survey shark foodsource activity.

A bunch of small Leos is a good sign for other larger fare.

There wasn't good sticking sand and the "ray" pulled it down and was hauling it out to sea.  >:( Luckily it didn't fill with sand.

Jim

Huh, I had no problem there with the sand. What type of spike are you using? I use the standard angle iron bought from Squidco. No problems at all holding in the sand. Drag too tight? Too much of a lean forward to begin with?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

I think I was farther south than you were. Those squidco spikes are what I use and could only get 2/3s in before hitting a wall.

All the big action was on the south side.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: spideyjg on May 30, 2016, 11:41:26 AM
I think I was farther south than you were. Those squidco spikes are what I use and could only get 2/3s in before hitting a wall.

All the big action was on the south side.

Jim

May venture a little further south tonight then.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

Jim
[/quote]
That's not a bad idea. To the drawing board I go...You never stop thinking, do ya Jim?  ;)

vdisney

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on May 30, 2016, 06:42:33 PMThat's not a bad idea. To the drawing board I go...You never stop thinking, do ya Jim?  ;)

What the hey Joe, your golf bag has a kick stand.........your pole holder might as well have one too  ;D ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: vdisney on May 31, 2016, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on May 30, 2016, 06:42:33 PMThat's not a bad idea. To the drawing board I go...You never stop thinking, do ya Jim?  ;)

What the hey Joe, your golf bag has a kick stand.........your pole holder might as well have one too  ;D ;D
So you guys I  haven't fished with yet can see what Verne is making reference to...I use a slightly modified golf club bag as a rod and spike caddy.I carry 3 set ups & holders in it plus it also accomadates all of my tools and supplies ie:pliers, knife, flashlights, glowsticks ,tape measure etc. & my terinal tackle,sinkers and pretied rigs as well as wallet, keys ,lighter and phone,in its various outside zip up pockets. It has a beefy shoulder strap that makes it easy enough to walk in to almost anywhere comfortably with it slung over one shoulder as its meant to be carried for 18 holes. This leaves both of my hands free to carry an ice chest or whatever else if need be. Whenever I go to set it down it has two legs that automatically pop out and act as a kickstand to keep it upright. I've found it to be fairly practical over the years but has room for some improvements. Its not hard to find a nice one at a garage sale for 15 or 20 bucks....so if you ever see a guy walking down the sand with what appears to be a set of golf clubs, it'll most probably be me...
JOE

xjchad

I've loved this idea since I met you at the Batfight!
I'm going to look for a bag with the big plastic wheels on it too. Thinking it might roll pretty good on the sand.

Pinoyfisher

LOL!!!! That's awesome!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

We should paddle out some baits with that yak for gw's...