News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Legal Halibut LuckyCraft AM Report 6/6/16

Started by HalibutJoel99, June 06, 2016, 04:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalibutJoel99

Headed out in the dark this morning to find some flat fish. Conditions were pretty good this morning, except there was some salad to deal with. Was getting salad on every cast. No wind was nice, waves were down. Not much of a surge this morning, it was calm. Overcast skies, which is just what I like. A lot of sand is gone from the super high tides, it's quite the obstacle course out there. Lots of Stingrays around, I stepped on one in the dark and it did creep me out. I lifted my leg so fast, shook my head and went to casting. Was casting to the right, to the middle, and finally found some action to my left. Got a nice tap and missed the hook set. Reel in take salad off cast out again. I got a few more nice hits but I missed them as well. Then no bites for a little while. Kept the confidence level high though. Cast out to the left and was ready to set the hook, not to fast, but I was gonna be ready.
I felt a nice tap and paused, and then felt another light tap and WHAM! Set the hook, and it was fish on!  Starting to get a good feel on the size of the pull on these Halibuts, drag was set just right, kept the line tight on the way in and beached my Hali. Target acquired. This was a righty, I guess more lefty's than righty's?  Nice colors on this fish that's for sure, and was a fun battle from the surf.

Here's a few pics.

She was a bit over 22

Grunion should be out in full force, the outings I have just prove that the Halibut love grunion and come in close for there gorging. I haven't see a grunion run yet though. I do see a lot of baitfish streaking in the water in the dark though. Thanks for reading and good luck out there. 

Until next tide.

Joel

Sharkinthedark II