News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Mac spots other than piers?

Started by spideyjg, June 10, 2016, 09:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

Need to make bait and 2/3ds of the pier crowd is people that don't have licenses to fish elsewhere.

Anybody try the jetties for macs? I was thinking hospitality point or across it on the mission beach side.

Jim

LONGCAST JOE

I feel your pain Jim, it seems as if making fresh bait as of late is harder thing to get done then actually catching what we target with that bait. I've found myself giving how to get bait more thought then the fishing I do once I  ever do get the bait... ???
Joe

spideyjg

It is a different type of dues you have 5o pay. Time on the sand and time making bait. :-\

Working 2 jobs makes any fishing time precious.

BTW tried fresh caught croaker a few times and it gets no love.  :(

Jim

sasquatch

Hit the pier. Watch and learn the ways. It will up your mackerel game.

LONGCAST JOE

Are cast nets legal in California??

spideyjg

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on June 10, 2016, 10:46:49 AM
Are cast nets legal in California??

No but you can use crab nets with a finer mesh on them. There is a local shop that sells them. Next pier trip I have to bring that to catch live bait. If I score enough, wheel and deal for macs.

Jim

raychavez91

pretty unlikely you'll get macks with the dip met your talking about. Best bet is fish the piers and deal wit the crowds.

spideyjg

But the dip net can get live baitfish for bigger pier targets. Guys were slaying bonito with live bait last year.

Jim

Eric H

I've caught a lot of macks  from the jetty on the iron but if I were to target them I'd hit the jetty. A few years ago I caught bonito and macks from the sand on every cast.

xjchad

What would be the best technique for catching macs on a pier?
Sabiki rig with squid strips?
I need to put the kids to work!

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: xjchad on June 11, 2016, 10:29:13 AM
What would be the best technique for catching macs on a pier?
Sabiki rig with squid strips?
I need to put the kids to work!
Hustle them with a couple bucks from the people you do see catching them  ;)

Pinoyfisher

Best bet is to give the piers with a tackle shop a call and get a live report of what's biting before heading out. It could save you a trip. I call OB, Oside, and Shelter on occasions. Word is OB and Shelter has a daytime bite going.

I avoid sabiki rigs, they always tangle. 2 hook rig and a split works best for met during the day. Same rig at night, but I replace the split shot with a glow stick. Squid strips.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

Traded some info with some catfish folk who told me their mac harvest area. Will try to hit it this week.

Maybe make bait and do some ray fishing in the bay since the surf looks to be obscene.

Jim

raychavez91

Wide open mackerel today at oceanside pier, for those interested

sasquatch

Quote from: raychavez91 on June 18, 2016, 06:25:19 PM
Wide open mackerel today at oceanside pier, for those interested

Heard they were in. Thanks for the confirmation, Ray.