News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Signs of Life (8/26)

Started by Latimeria, August 27, 2016, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Dave gave me a text about fishing last night and it was the push I needed.  I planned on just fishing in the morning, but it's been a while since I soaked some lines with him and just had to decide on the location.  The tides sucked balls with the tide bottoming out at 0.16', but we picked a spot that was hopefully going to bust wide open.  ;D

Dave was picking up bait, but forgot his wallet, so wound up being much later than expected.  I had some 10x refrozen bonito and mackerel with me I was planning on using for chum, but had to use it for bait until Dave got there. 

First cast and I just walked back to my bag and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!    Fish on!  It was fighting good and I thought it was a leopard because it was ripping drag and actually putting up a fight!  I was surprised to see over 2 feet of Sand Bass hitting the beach at the end of the battle!

I am out of fish since my boat is still down, so I kept him for a tasty dinner.

Next cast and I get a knot tying eel.  2 for 2 casts.

Third cast and I hook into what was definitely a leopard this time.  I got him in close and saw him rolling in the suds when he got himself loose and swam off.  Probably a 36-40 inch fish, but still had 3 good bites in 3 casts!

4th cast and Dave shows up.  As he was 40 feet away, my rod doubles over and I'm on again!  This time, he rocked me and I couldn't get him or my rig out.  Paid the "rig fee" to the reef I guess.

Dave had a bunch of nice bass hits, but couldn't get one to stick.  I cast out a nice bait and get a screamer run!  The problem was I was too far from my rod and after a long run, finally got to the rod just in time for him to drop it. Grrrrrr....

One of the cool things was to see Fish and Game roll down the beach in this area.  I've never seen them here before, but it was very welcome sight keeping the poachers away.  They might have been rangers, but I'm not exactly quite sure.  Very cool guys and they actually hung out with us for 20 minutes or so.  We told them about Prehistoric Soul and I think they will be coming on board or at leat checking in.  They seemed super interested in the shore shark fishing.

Anyway, I'll weigh my bass before filetting it today and get back to you about the size.  My guess is 6 pounds, but it was long and over 2 feet.

Well, no sharks, but that big bass gave me a boost that I needed.

Thanks for reading and until next tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

Signs of life indeed!! Water rolled, so that may be all we needed.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

24.5" and 6.50 pounds. That's a personal best for me... And from the surf! Lol
I have to check my records, but I think this is my biggest turd roller.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

It's funny how the big bass are next to the shore. It would have been a blast to catch that on a lighter set up for sure. I've caught some nice size Calicos on the long rod and wished it was on the lighter gear.  :-[

The water temp is changing, so maybe we will see a return in the sharks sightings.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Eric H

That bass makes me drool.

Very nice.

I'm In the bass phase at the moment.

WheresMyBeer

Sorry for rolling up with a giant black cloud of skunkiness. That whole evening was doomed for me from the start. No surf rigs and mad scrambling last minute. Driving to the store without my wallet was a nice punch in the gut. Then skunk flavored icing.

Still fun getting out (finally).

:P :P :P

vdisney

The way you're holding that sandie out Tom, I was guessing closer to 15lbs   ;)
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: WheresMyBeer on August 27, 2016, 10:12:51 PM
Sorry for rolling up with a giant black cloud of skunkiness. That whole evening was doomed for me from the start. No surf rigs and mad scrambling last minute. Driving to the store without my wallet was a nice punch in the gut. Then skunk flavored icing.

Still fun getting out (finally).

:P :P :P

Sounds a lot like me! Fishing without my license is one of my all time favorites!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

WheresMyBeer

Oh dude ... even forgot to mention that. They rolled up .. park rangers or DFG - we couldn't tell. Working through my bag and couldn't find my license. Was kinda freakin a bit, but they never asked. Hope it's in my bag somewhere.  :-[ :-[