News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Blew out a guide on my spinning rod

Started by xjchad, August 30, 2016, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Last time out I blew out one of the guides on my Daiwa Sealine 12' surf rod.
The knot on my shock leader caught and ripped the insert out of the guide.  It also broke the line right there and I lost the terminal rig as well  >:(

What is the easiest way to fix the guide?  Can I replace the insert or do I need to replace the whole guide?

Also, in the mean time, is it ok to use it as is??
Thanks!
Chad

LONGCAST JOE

No, dont use it as is, it'll cut or fray up your line...which guide was it? If its the tip, its easy enough to pick a replacement up at the tackle shop and you wont have to buy a whole set. Just make sure it will fit the diameter of your rod tip. Those Sealines are big. To get the old one off heat it with the flame of a lighter and pull on the old one, they use hot glue to secure it on the tip. Splurge the extra $5 for a good one, it's probably the most import part of a rod. If it's not the tip you can try to cannibalize one from another old rod you have laying around already missing guides? I have a huge graveyard of rods I can get a guide for you from if not, and a few are sealines so let me know which guide it is and Ill mail one up to you if need be.
JOE

xjchad

Thanks Joe!
It's not the tip, I think that'd be the easiest to fix.  It's the second guide up from the reel. It's not huge, maybe as big around as my wedding ring.
It looks like it has a really thick layer of epoxy holding it on (I'm sure there's thread wrapping under that) so I'm not sure how to remove/replace it. 
I'm big on DIY though so hoping I can get the knowledge here to at least make it useable  :D

Fish Jerk

You will need to replace the whole guide. If you get a replacement guide of the correct size, Google replacing a rod guide. There are many tutorials out there. It might end up being cheaper to just take into a shop. I think my local shop does it for $25 a guide. You might spend that much getting the correct thread and epoxy shipped to you to do it yourself.

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: xjchad on August 30, 2016, 01:53:00 PM
Thanks Joe!
It's not the tip, I think that'd be the easiest to fix.  It's the second guide up from the reel. It's not huge, maybe as big around as my wedding ring.
It looks like it has a really thick layer of epoxy holding it on (I'm sure there's thread wrapping under that) so I'm not sure how to remove/replace it. 
I'm big on DIY though so hoping I can get the knowledge here to at least make it useable  :D
Chad, PM or text me an address where I can it send to, I've got one I can mail out to you tommorrow

xjchad

Thanks a lot Joe! That's sure nice of you.
I PM'd you since it's a little late for a text.

skrilla

It is possible to replace just the ring. You would need the same ring from a donor guide. The process can be tricky. I've shattered a few rings attempting it. Safer bet to have it replaced. Shouldn't cost no more than 20 bucks parts and labor at any legit tackle shop.

xjchad

:D
WOW JOE! I can't even begin to know how to thank you!!
I was expecting a padded envelope with a rod guide in it. Instead I get a 6' long box with a new Penn Prevail heavy 11' spinning rod! That's such a blessing brother, thank you!!
I can't wait to try it out!  :D

LONGCAST JOE

Your welcome brother! Idon't know anyone who would put it to better use then you. Now do understand why I thought it a bit uncanny when you posted that one from CL? after yours was sent, psychic sh!t going on there...
Oh, it was supposed to be the 12' model(4-8oz, 20-40lb)...but your going to like the shrink tube butt.
JOE

xjchad

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on September 01, 2016, 08:36:22 PM
Your welcome brother! Idon't know anyone who would put it to better use then you. Now do understand why I thought it a bit uncanny when you posted that one from CL? after yours was sent, psychic sh!t going on there...
Oh, it was supposed to be the 12' model(4-8oz, 20-40lb)...but your going to like the shrink tube butt.
JOE

Haha, yeah I get it now about the CL post, crazy!
I love the rod, it's beautiful!  And much lighter than the Daiwa Sealine.

vdisney

Sounds like the story has a happy ending, now my question to Chad is..............what kind of knot do you use for your shock leader?
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

xjchad

Quote from: vdisney on September 02, 2016, 06:02:38 AM
Sounds like the story has a happy ending, now my question to Chad is..............what kind of knot do you use for your shock leader?

Verne, for my shock leader-to-top shot knot I've been using a spider hitch in the 40 lb. mono top shot and then tying the 80-100 lb. shock leader to that loop with a bristol knot.  You end up with 2 knots a few inches from each other, but they are both pretty low profile.  I'm going to research other options now though LOL
I'm open to any suggestions!

spideyjg

FG knot for me. 80 lb mono to 80lb braid.

Jim

xjchad

Quote from: spideyjg on September 02, 2016, 09:37:17 AM
FG knot for me. 80 lb mono to 80lb braid.

Jim

Jim,  I run 65 lb. braid backing to a 100 yd. top shot of 40 lb big game mono.  For that connection I use the FG knot too.  Love it.
Above I was talking about the connection from my 40 lb top shot to my 80 lb shock leader.

Fish Jerk

I've seen where some guys back east recommend leaving the tag ends about 1-1.5 inches long when tying mono to mono knots to prevent knocking guides out. I think it's supposed to help keep the knot centered when going thru the guides. Of course, to my thought process, this would only help if the tags stand out at right angles to the main line. This would depend on your knots though.