News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Blew out a guide on my spinning rod

Started by xjchad, August 30, 2016, 01:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch

Quote from: xjchad on September 02, 2016, 08:12:36 AM
Quote from: vdisney on September 02, 2016, 06:02:38 AM
Sounds like the story has a happy ending, now my question to Chad is..............what kind of knot do you use for your shock leader?

Verne, for my shock leader-to-top shot knot I've been using a spider hitch in the 40 lb. mono top shot and then tying the 80-100 lb. shock leader to that loop with a bristol knot.  You end up with 2 knots a few inches from each other, but they are both pretty low profile.  I'm going to research other options now though LOL
I'm open to any suggestions!

That's what I have been using for ages when I do mono to mono. Guide damage is always in the back of my mind. I used loop to loop connections when I used braid, but I found my braid was getting shredded in certain areas so I made the switch back to mono.

Eric H

xjchad

xjchad

Quote from: vdisney on September 02, 2016, 06:02:38 AM
Sounds like the story has a happy ending, now my question to Chad is..............what kind of knot do you use for your shock leader?

I tried a few new ones and settled on the Albright knot to try now. Tied up really easy and stays very slim.

BackBayMan

I know it's not the prettiest but...

I blew out the same guide on my Sealine 12'. Picked up a replacement guide at Longfin for $2.50. Not the exact one but pretty close. Cut one side of the old thread/epoxy off, pulled the broken guide, slid in the new one and electrical tapped it in place. Rube Goldberg for sure but I gave it to a buddy and he's caught a lot of fish with it the past couple of years and it's still going strong :-[
Anybody have an emergency beer?

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: BackBayMan on October 05, 2016, 08:07:29 AM
I know it's not the prettiest but...

I blew out the same guide on my Sealine 12'. Picked up a replacement guide at Longfin for $2.50. Not the exact one but pretty close. Cut one side of the old thread/epoxy off, pulled the broken guide, slid in the new one and electrical tapped it in place. Rube Goldberg for sure but I gave it to a buddy and he's caught a lot of fish with it the past couple of years and it's still going strong :-[

Rube Goldberg , lol...you are a science geek for sure Chip.