News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Bird watching...

Started by xjchad, September 08, 2016, 02:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I hit the local ditch by work with the tenkara rod again today.  Lots of little bites, but no fish.
At least this osprey didn't get skunked!

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Eric H

Neat.

I've seen bald eagles in the sierras swoop down and catch trout. :D

Fish Jerk

On Sunday I had 2 bird incidents while fishing. First, I had just hooked a Mac and was bringing it in and a cormorant grabbed it. I brief tug of war ensued, resulting in my landing the Mac with a gash on 1 side from his back to his belly. About 20 minutes later, I hooked a YFC and had an osprey dive and grab it. It tried to take off for a few secs then let it go. I ended up landing the poor croaker with 3-4 holes poked in its side.

About 20 years ago, I was fishing for flounder in a small marina. I had just hooked a small pancake and was skipping it across the surface and had an osprey grab it and take off. I fought that crazy bird for about a minute before he finally dropped it. It felt like I was flying a kite for a bit.

Eric H

I caught a cormorant on a live sardine.

I bounced it over the rail and it bled all over the deck. Deckhand tossed it in the water, hopefully a shark ate it.

I've caught other birds mid air while casting.

A few more birds and ducks over the years....

xjchad

I've never caught a bird, but I have caught a bat. I was fly fishing on a dock at dusk and it took my fly right out of the air!

sasquatch

Had a bald eagle grab my trout at the lake. Didn't even know I had it on. Saw the splash, saw the eagle fly off, then saw my rod on the ground and my reel was spooled.