News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Bait clips, proper pulley's and rotten bottom clips and IMOs

Started by LONGCAST JOE, September 14, 2016, 05:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LONGCAST JOE

Time to tie up some more rigs, the package just arrived. I can't believe there isn't anyone in the States that sells any of these, I have only been able to find them in Australia, Italy or the U.K. ...If you order in a decent quantity the shipping cost isn't too bad if you find the right store that will combine items for a rate.....
Splash down bait clips ( For you guys that clip your bait down, these are much better then the imp clips or imp sheilds I think because they allow you to OTG, [off the ground cast] without releasing)

Proper pulleys (I didn't think these would be strong enough for big game but I accidentally hooked a 50in batray while using a pulley rig with one of these and it held, no problem, I was surprised, but I almost trust them now) [Ron!, remind me next time we bump into each other to give you a couple to try out on your pulley rigs]

Rotten bottom clips (If you would rather lose just your sinker instead of your whole rig and shock leader when your lead gets hung up, these do usually work. They open up on splash down and release your sinker which is still tied to your end swivel eye with a short 6" - 12" length of mono that tests about 5 lbs lighter than your other weakest link, or point where you would snap off otherwise. To me it's worth sacrificing the 5 lbs less of breaking strain before I lose my sinker as opposed to losing the whole rig and shock leader if you do have to break off without a rotten bottom system)

Oh yea, also couldn't resist a good deal on this Ultegra 14000 (Not the 5500 you see everywhere) This is hard but not impossible to find in the States, not at the price I got it at. The 14000 has some serious line capacity (400 yards of 65lb braid, 330yds of 20 mono)
It wont be my main reel but will be a decent back up or secondary long rod reel at least. Time to decide what to spool this up with now...Besides, i don't think anyone could ever own to many reels or rods, right?

JOE

xjchad

Latimeria

You are correct Joe... No one could own too many reels!  lol

I'm loving your pulley rig systems and how far you are going to get the right tackle for what you need.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

vdisney

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Chris

Keep it tight

BackBayMan

I love this stuff!

Have you checked out aliexpress.com yet? I think it's the English version of alibaba.com and even though it can be a bitch to find stuff, there are some killer deals. We've been messing around with KastKing braid, which at $18 for 1000yds for 65lb to 80lb is dirt cheap. Same thing for weights and components. Just got a Sharky 6000 baitfeeder for $40. There's no doubt their specs are a little sketchy, but at that price if you can get a couple of seasons out of it it's a bargain for a critter reel.
Anybody have an emergency beer?

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: BackBayMan on October 05, 2016, 07:58:39 AM
I love this stuff!

Have you checked out aliexpress.com yet? I think it's the English version of alibaba.com and even though it can be a bitch to find stuff, there are some killer deals. We've been messing around with KastKing braid, which at $18 for 1000yds for 65lb to 80lb is dirt cheap. Same thing for weights and components. Just got a Sharky 6000 baitfeeder for $40. There's no doubt their specs are a little sketchy, but at that price if you can get a couple of seasons out of it it's a bargain for a critter reel.

Tried the KastKing braid last year. It fluffed on me after a few seshes and then I had the  problem of it digging into itself on the spool and creating resistance midcast when the line was coming off the spool. I'll only use what I have left for a spool reducer and under backing that will rarely come off the reel, if ever.
Since then I've gone to the other end of the spectrum and am spooled up with 65lb Powerpro Maxquatro. It's not cheap at around $80 for a 300yd spool but IMO my line is probably the single most important component that I can't afford to chance having fail on me in case I hook into that catch of a lifetime.
You can pick up Daiwa Emcasts at a couple of places online now for $39 of seen too...     

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)