News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Bringing back bare hooks lately

Started by spideyjg, September 16, 2016, 08:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spideyjg

Long rod the last 2 times out no runs or activity but I get back a perfectly clean hook. Even mack heads hooked though the skull?

WTH is out there piranhas?

Jim

LONGCAST JOE

For me Elastic bait tying thread = peace of mind.  At least I'm not left thinking if it could possibly have come off at splash down or wondering just how many minutes I've been soaking an empty hook for. It keeps a whole squid looking natural on your line too, instead of having it fold over or having it turn into indistinguishable squid ball...
Look at the bright side, at least your bringing back a clean hook, and not ball o salad, eels or no hook at all... :D ;)

vdisney

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on September 16, 2016, 11:14:35 AMLook at the bright side, at least your bringing back a clean hook, and not ball o salad, eels or no hook at all... :D ;)

That's what I was thinking  ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Eric H

You can use black sewing thread to help keep it on the hook. The land based guys on the east coast use zip ties.

But it really shouldn't be coming off the hook anyway if you have a nice fresh chunk.

If its coming off, it would more likely be happening while your reeling in to do a bait check.

spideyjg

Don't know. I use 10/0 demon circles and most times bring back something. The rod is rigged with a 12/0 demon is the only difference.
Getting a naked hook back.

Maybe next outing I'll bring carp sides. Their skin is freaking leather. I sometimes have to cut it off the hook when catfishing.

Lately there are reports of a relative of the gulf coast blue claw crabs Callinectes arcuatus "Arched Swimming Crab" in abundance in the bays. If they are in the surf no wonder I get a naked hook back. I know Tom posted a pic the other day.

Jim

Pinoyfisher

Lobsters or your bait is coming off during the retrieve or cast? Seaweed has a way of "pulling" off baits too.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

I'll put a post up soon, but I had a ravenous bite of Saltwater piranhas on Sunday!  I'm thinking they are a major culprit.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

I'd love to know what they are. Bastiges!

Want to catch one and use it for bait.

Jim

BackBayMan

We've been getting the same thing on the big rods lately. Bay and Big Pond >:(
Anybody have an emergency beer?