News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

I Need Advice...

Started by BackBayMan, September 23, 2016, 01:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackBayMan

We've been catching a bunch of baby round rays and skates lately.

My question is should we keep them as bait for grinners?

And if we keep them as bait, how do you use them? Wing strips? Whole thing?

What's the consensus? Use them or stick to Macs?

Anybody have an emergency beer?

Pinoyfisher

Stick to macks unless you plan on paddling them out to deeper water. Also, you should have the heavier gear as well. Bigger baits going further out would in theory yield a bigger shark. IMO.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

rays are good if you can get them out, they won't cast well....

LONGCAST JOE

If you have the freezer space definitely hold on to a half dozen of the smaller models, not the thornbacks, but the round rays. That's sevengill candy. When I get the chance I'll post up an effective way to rig them that I found to give them a natural presentation,good hook up ratio and let's you get some distance on your cast as well. 
JOE

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on September 23, 2016, 07:27:22 PM
If you have the freezer space definitely hold on to a half dozen of the smaller models, not the thornbacks, but the round rays. That's sevengill candy. When I get the chance I'll post up an effective way to rig them that I found to give them a natural presentation,good hook up ratio and let's you get some distance on your cast as well. 
JOE

I wanna see this!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on September 24, 2016, 10:40:18 AM
Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on September 23, 2016, 07:27:22 PM
JOE

I wanna see this!

Me too! Joe is the mad scientist of tackle!