News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Giant Slugs (9/27)

Started by Latimeria, September 28, 2016, 03:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Well, our Tuesday Night Game Plan was simple... 

-Take the light gear down to catch some fresh YFC for bait.

-Hit the bar for a great burger and beers.

-Head out for round 2 and look for the bigger grinners.

We changed up beaches last minute due to finding an empty beach.  I got on the board pretty quickly with a little Leo.  There was a ton of grass to contend with.

I followed it up with a 0.5 fish.  It would have been a zero, but it was pretty damn big for a round ray.

Steve followed up with a Leo of his own...

And a Micro-Bean!  Almost wanted to use him as bait!

We decided to skip all the grass in the water and hit the bar for some killer burgers and beer.  Friggand best $9 loaded cheeseburgers that they don't skimp on!
We headed down to spot #2 and the sunset was electric!

My biggest mistake was taking the bass rod down also, as it was hard tending to both rods as the bait stealers were out in force!

Lots of bass and bugs....

Got some yellowfin croaker for the bait box.

Now for the land of Giants.....

The biggest Eels I have ever seen and lots of them.  Steve and I just shook our heads at these human legs squirming on the beach.
A smaller sized big eel.

They were inhaling it!

Steve also caught some monster eels...

It was eels and lobster for a little while there.

Thankfully we got a break here and there to catch some more bass...

and Halibut!

The Blue Perch heads were not getting bit.  Not even the lobster were picking at them...  I'll have to rethink these guys as bait...

Steve got a funny bite that he thought was a typical 30# male bat ray...  It turned out that it was a side hooked nice Leppo!

Well, it was a fine evening and there was a good number of fish caught.  Steve took honors with the biggest bass and biggest Leopard, so he was stoked.  I still couldn't believe the size of the eels though...

So, no big grinners yet, but it is starting to feel like shark season!  It's coming....  If you bait it... they will come!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Pretty sure I got biggest eel too, but no way I will participate in measuring one. Can't believe one of them bit off my only sinker. Glad I was able to return the loaner. Thanks.

With one rod holder for the big rod, throwing the small stuff was too stressful with nowhere to stash it if the big rod went off. My plan was to just throw it on the ground. Not like it would be the first time for this set up.

Finally racked the small rod and dumped my squid to remove the temptation so I could concentrate on my shark quest.

Fun night. Good food, killer sunset, t-shirt temps, and a mess of fish.

vdisney

Quote from: sasquatch on September 28, 2016, 05:30:37 PMFun night. Good food, killer sunset, t-shirt temps, and a mess of fish.

What more can you ask for?   ;D
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

Mateo

I want to try those eels. Heard you just gotta boil off the stinky fat layer then it's good meat. A skull trophy would be cool too

Eric H

Lots of life in that spot.

It's only a matter of time.

Beautiful sunset, sounds like a great evening. 8)

WheresMyBeer

Jesus ...  :o :o :o

Thought the one Steve and I tandem'd was big. That pic including a leg ... that's just huge.

lamnidae

What a great night. That one eel with the foot for scale was gargantuan. Was that Steve's foot?

Pinoyfisher

Been a while since I've caught anything, wouldn't even mind a big eel. Only 1 eel though... Lol!! Looked like lots of fun!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

You for sure found some life, good sign

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: Mateo on September 28, 2016, 06:16:12 PM
I want to try those eels. Heard you just gotta boil off the stinky fat layer then it's good meat. A skull trophy would be cool too
I'll bet Tom is already gagging just at the thought of it lol

WheresMyBeer

Pinoyfisher

That last pic is pretty gnarly!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

No grinners???  Those eels have some pretty gnarly teeth!!!  So rad!
I love the gold coloring on those Leos too!  8)

BackBayMan

You're going to have to start a monthly eel honor roll :o
Anybody have an emergency beer?

lamnidae

Any guesses on eel lenghts??