News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Sept-Oct Illinois stuff

Started by BenCantrell, October 18, 2016, 10:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

Met up with a fellow Illinois species hunter for the first time a few weekends ago.  Slow day at the power plant cooling lake near my house, but he managed a nice sized lifer blue cat.

He brought a landing mat, which is something I admit I have not used before.  It was actually pretty handy as far as keeping grass and dirt off the fish so it would be nice and clean for some photos.

All I could catch were dinky carp, over and over and over, haha.

Last weekend I took a coworker fishing for the first time.  He's straight from Ghana, so this was a good culture shock for him, interacting with other fisherman, using rod & reel, and catch & release fishing.  Naturally his first catch was a bluegill.

Biggest carp of the day might have broke double digits, but we didn't weigh it.  I had promised him buffalo, but strangely they didn't make an appearance.

My surprise catch of the day was a walleye that picked up a nightcrawler off the bottom.  We saw three muskies caught by guys fishing out of boats.  As the temps drop they should start feeding heavily for a few weeks, so I may get out again to see if I can get one from shore.

Pinoyfisher

Nice!! That blue cat is making me hungry!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)