News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

My current casting shark rig.

Started by sasquatch, November 19, 2014, 09:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.  Give a man some strong drinks... and he ties up a bunch of shark rigs.   8)

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

I always wonder if strong drinks had any part in several leader failures.

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on February 14, 2015, 08:39:32 AM
I always wonder if strong drinks had any part in several leader failures.
That has crossed my mind Steve, but I did not get blitzed.  Just a nice head buzz and double checked every crimp with a good pull while locked in the vice.

sasquatch

I don't have a vice and tend to pour pretty strong. I decided to over build for security. Haven't had a failure since.

WheresMyBeer

There is a window of PPI (perfect point of intoxication) which offers ultimate focus and concentration. However that 15-20 min window is typically followed by a cliff ...  :o ;D ;D

Eric H

Some of you are already familiar with this rig. Heres the way I do it...

The tools & tackle

The rig

Sometimes I will tie on a snap swivel to the end of the mono instead of directly to the sputnik. This allows you to just snap on a different size weight if desired.

The wire lengths are usually 3 feet.

Always double crimped for piece of mind.

Always use circles, ill use at least a 9/0 and up.

The tool with a bright handle is just a simple file. After  catchin a fish on a rig, dragging it through the sand, the hook gets kinda dull. Ill just hit it with the file on a few different angles and its sharp again. Rigs are always rinsed with fresh water as well to ensure they last.

raychavez91

Very nice setup Eric, think I'll look into that afw wire

Latimeria

Very nice set up Eric. Lot's of cool variations of a proven rig!

xjchad

Thanks for the great info and tutorials!
Do any of you sell these pre made rigs?
I'd love to get my hands on some to use until I can get the tools and materials to start making my own.

Latimeria

Quote from: xjchad on April 05, 2015, 03:22:22 PM
Thanks for the great info and tutorials!
Do any of you sell these pre made rigs?
I'd love to get my hands on some to use until I can get the tools and materials to start making my own.

I have a couple tied up for sale.  Message me.

WheresMyBeer

BigRed805

Eric H

Heres a few w/ 2-3 ft. bite sections, 10/0 & 12/0 circles

Latimeria

WheresMyBeer

v. nice ...

Need to reload some 9/0 myself  >:( >:( >:(

Just got a new batch of sputniks too ...  >:(

Nothing happy about replacing tackle  ;D