News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Hit'er quick & quit'er

Started by LONGCAST JOE, October 21, 2016, 12:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LONGCAST JOE

Shot straight over the hill to the Bu after work to get an hour or so of casting in before dark with a new 12' steelhead rod I picked up last week rated 6lb - 10lb, 1/4oz - 5/8oz armed with a LC 110 flash minnow on the end of a 12# flouro leader and some 18# Gliss I picked up for pennys online from Cabela's closeout stock. Believe it or not this is the first time I've ever thrown a LC.  ??? Picked up a nice sandy in the first few casts and then walked the shore knee deep to a stretch usually not accessible but the tide was low and surf tame as well this evening. Fan cast in between exposed large rocky structure ,which is a bit hairy knowing there's a $20 bill on the end of the line, but didn't see the point of casting scared. It felt fishy tight to the structure. After a dozen or so casts I felt the LC get bumped so I paused my retrieve and gave it a couple twitches...and Bam, he came back and nailed it. After some drag pull got em to slide up on the sand quickly as I could manage. Didn't have a tape with me so after some quick thinking I remembered a cigerette is 80mm long, just over 3". He went 8 cigarettes long, for sure over 22" LoL. I only keep 1 or 2 fish a year for tablefare and this would be one of those. Didn't make another cast and headed straight to my truck carrying the butt by a gill lock and was home with it within 15 minutes. Used a old phone to snap the sh!tty pics and filleted it up, 4 nice ones will be tomorrows dinner. i think i'll try these LC things again soon.     

Latimeria

Well Damn!  I hope you don't mind me saying that you got one sweet butt there hanging from your fingers!

Cabela's closeouts, huh?  I'll have to look and see what they got.  I can't buy anything, but it will be nice to see what they are unloading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

1morecast

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

lightline21

Eric H

Hit and quit it , nice job joe.

That's one sweet fish.

If your gona be throwing those LC's around the reef in the BU I'd bump up to 20 lb.

There's some large butts and white sea bass that swing through there  8)

Ask Verne about when he got spooled recently.

vdisney

Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

SevengillTheVC

No arguments at 25" dead thats for sure! After about 5 years of throwing crafts here and there all I've scored is a 8" mackerel! Way to go Joe!

HalibutJoel99