News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Baits

Started by Chris, December 19, 2016, 07:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

What's the biggest baits you guys are throwing? 10-12" macks? YFC? Chunks of Ray or eel? Or are most chunking palm size baits?
Keep it tight

spideyjg

3 to 4" sections. I have tossed out a live YFC one time for naught.

Jim

sasquatch

Mostly just throw palm size chunks. Never tried ray or eel.

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on December 19, 2016, 07:48:22 PM
Mostly just throw palm size chunks. Never tried ray or eel.
I was tossing bigger, but it does a number on your back and shoulder.... well at least on my old back and shoulder and didn't seem to make too much of a difference as the catching was concerned..
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

I tried chunks of thornback one night for no bites, but wasn't getting hit on the macs either.
I typically use palm size chunks of 12-14" macs or whole 6-8" macs.

Pinoyfisher

4-6" chunks, if macks are the little skinny kinds and are under 7", I'll use it whole and tie wrap tail to the line. Tried chunks or round ray for nada. Also tried YFC, smelt, grunion, perch, YT belly. None of those baits produced.

The only baits that have worked for me for grinners has been bonito, macks, and squid.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

Id guess 80% of us are throwing Mack heads 80% of the time...

sasquatch

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on December 20, 2016, 03:54:23 PM

I use every piece of the mack. Tail, then middle, then head.

Chris

I've always had good luck with palm size baits of all types. But I really want to throw or paddle out some bigger ones for longer soaks possibly bigger critters.

Keep it tight

Latimeria

You should totally paddle some baits out to try.  I've talked about it, but really carry way too much down as it is and know I'd get dunked paddling out. 

xjchad

Quote from: Chris on December 20, 2016, 09:55:19 PM
I've always had good luck with palm size baits of all types. But I really want to throw or paddle out some bigger ones for longer soaks possibly bigger critters.

Looks like a nice custom rod holder in your pic.  Mind sharing some more pictures of it?

Chris

Quote from: Latimeria on December 21, 2016, 06:07:53 AM
You should totally paddle some baits out to try.  I've talked about it, but really carry way too much down as it is and know I'd get dunked paddling out.

I would find a spot I could drop everything close to The sand. I did it at the kitchen twice. Unloading was fine, but then loading back up after the parking lot closed wasn't fun.
Keep it tight

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on December 20, 2016, 04:10:11 PM
Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on December 20, 2016, 03:54:23 PM

I use every piece of the mack. Tail, then middle, then head.

That's a Josh Bait....

Chris

Quote from: xjchad on December 21, 2016, 08:14:41 AM
Quote from: Chris on December 20, 2016, 09:55:19 PM

Looks like a nice custom rod holder in your pic.  Mind sharing some more pictures of it?

Keep it tight

xjchad

Nice, thanks Chris!