News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Critter Gitter (01-04)

Started by Pinoyfisher, January 05, 2017, 09:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Pounding the sand again with Binh. Mack, squish, and bonito were brought along as offerings. I fished 2 rods to increase the odds. One for grinners and a 10' light jig stick to snag some smaller stuff.

I was pretty busy on the critter rod. 2 legal sized bugs, a chunky BSP (ended up being bait), a sub legal calico, an aquarium leo were brought ashore. Had a few decent take downs on the long rod, but nothing committed. Binh wore the stripe for once, but he didn't mind...  ;)

No pics. Too busy dealing with 2 rods. Lots of life and great conditions. It just needs to stop raining.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Glad you guys got out and got some action!
I'm
Going to have to put together a critter rod. Maybe one of those emcast reels?
What kind of weight rating for the rod?

spideyjg

A critter rod can keep you real busy. I use a 10 foot rod up to 4 ounce casting ability.

I run 20 lb leader on braid. 3/0-6/0 hooks.

Ultralight rig is an 8 foot steelhead rod for perch with 10 lb braid and 6lb leader.

Jim

Latimeria

I call BS on the Perch without pics!  There hasn't been perch in San Diego in forever!  LOL

Well, good try Mike and Binh.  I have not seen a shark pattern emerge since last spring.  Just so hit and miss... or hit and lose it and have my week ruined...
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Latimeria on January 05, 2017, 12:08:07 PM
I call BS on the Perch without pics!  There hasn't been perch in San Diego in forever!  LOL

Could hardly believe it myself. He made excellent bait. He was attacked right away.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Quote from: spideyjg on January 05, 2017, 11:40:06 AM
A critter rod can keep you real busy. I use a 10 foot rod up to 4 ounce casting ability.

Ultralight rig is an 8 foot steelhead rod for perch with 10 lb braid and 6lb leader.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I've got an 8'6" steelhead rod with 300 yards of 20lb braid.
I don't think it will cast a sputnik or pyramid sinker though. It's pretty light.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: xjchad on January 05, 2017, 12:14:46 PM

Jim

I don't think it will cast a sputnik or pyramid sinker though. It's pretty light.

Chad, I'm down to get those reels, if they're still available. Size preference? I'm in the cleanroom here at my job, so I have no access to my wallet. If you buy them, I can PayPal the $$ to you today.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

I use maybe a 4 ounce at most sinker on the critter rod. I want as little as possible since I use a drop shot rig. Wait until you see which way the current is running and cast it ahead of the big rig. Bait us usually a squid head.

Too much surf I sit it for the night.

Jim

xjchad

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on January 05, 2017, 12:22:14 PM
Quote from: xjchad on January 05, 2017, 12:14:46 PM

Jim

Chad, I'm down to get those reels, if they're still available. Size preference? I'm in the cleanroom here at my job, so I have no access to my wallet. If you buy them, I can PayPal the $$ to you today.

Mike,
They are still available.  I just remembered I have a couple of spinning set ups in the garage that I used to use at the pier years ago.  I'm going to look them over tonight and see if I can use one of them.  If not, I'll go in on those with you.

xjchad

Mike,
I've got a setup in the garage that I'm going to use for critters so I don't need the emcast right now. The rod is only 7' but if it works out I'll look to upgrade later. I'll just use a really tall rod holder LOL!

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: xjchad on January 06, 2017, 08:46:59 AM
Mike,
I've got a setup in the garage that I'm going to use for critters so I don't need the emcast right now. The rod is only 7' but if it works out I'll look to upgrade later. I'll just use a really tall rod holder LOL!
Wrap a guide on the old Sealine rod and pair it with an Emcast, and you got yourself a decent second set-up...👍

xjchad

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on January 07, 2017, 04:37:45 PM
Quote from: xjchad on January 06, 2017, 08:46:59 AM
Mike,
Wrap a guide on the old Sealine rod and pair it with an Emcast, and you got yourself a decent second set-up...👍
You read my mind Joe!
I've got cheap Shakespeare that I'm going to scavange the guides off of to fix my Sealine rod.