News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Really? WTF? ...

Started by WheresMyBeer, January 13, 2017, 01:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WheresMyBeer

Really?

What the hell is this? No wonder the reel ceased and looked like there was a bent spool.

Epic first cast curse with a bare hook LEO. LOL ... Anyone have this happen before?

Ugh - $40 replacement in the mail.

xjchad

:o
Looks like it took a pretty hard shot! Did the delivery guy run it over!?

WheresMyBeer

No - it was on my second cast of the evening, right after catching that little leopard with Tom and Steve.

xjchad

Is that the spool or the body of the reel right behind the spool?

WheresMyBeer

Side plate on the spool assembly itself.

sasquatch

Damn Dave, lighten up on the thumb a little.

xjchad

Could the line have been pinched between the spool and the frame during the cast?

Eric H

Maybe you should stop smashing it against rocks ;D :P

Eric H

Bet Alan tani knows what happened.

WheresMyBeer

WheresMyBeer

Tom was thinking maybe the spectra backing compressed enough to pressure out the fail. Dunno, never had a reel do this.

Of course past warranty.  :(

When I felt it go thought it was just a bearing, or gear in the drive shaft. This is pricy, but an easy fix.

Eric H

sasquatch

Heard of mono widening spools when put on under pressure. Since spectra has lower stretch I wouldn't expect that. Obviously something went wrong.

I still blame the burly thumb.

Fish Jerk

To me, it actually looks like the crack is right around where the mono top might start after the braid backing. It would depend on the size of the spool spindle and how much backing is on it. I would strip the line off and look at the inside of the spool for corrosion. I have heard of wet braid under mono causing significant corrosion underneath mono due to it being unable to dry out. I have heard of people periodically removing the braid and rinsing in fresh water and allowing it to dry before respooling.

Due to the circular nature of the crack, it definitely looks like a pressure related crack though.

WheresMyBeer

Good stuff. Ill check. I rarely change my backing. Guess need to pay more attention. Reel was sealine 40