News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Penn Fathom 40

Started by Tim524, February 22, 2017, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim524

I am considering the reel and found it on Amazon for $180. Any input on a rod to pair it with would be appreciated  :)

Fish Jerk

Long rod for surf or boat rod?

Tim524

Surf rod , Bats and sharks.

Fish Jerk

I have 2x Penn Fathom 30's and love the reels. It has great free spool stock out of the box and when I opened it up I found everything well lubed by the factory. I do believe the stock HT-100 carbon drags come ungreased though, so I greased mone with Cal's drag grease before buttoning them back up. Since I use straight 65lb on them (less forgiving to overruns than mono), I added static mag's to add more braking to the standard Centrifugal bakes. I recently decided to test the drags against a scale to see how accurate the specs were. Cranking the star down as hard as I could gave me 27lbs of drag with a full spool.

I fish them on a 12' Penn Prevail and Battalion respectively and am completely happy with both. I almost exclusively cast 6+bait on these rods with no issues. Using only squish, I feel 8+bait would be the upper limit.

Tim524

Thanks for the reply, Hopefully I can upgrade before the Bat fight  8)

Tim524

Well, I went to BPS today to upgrade my setup  :)  Pen Fathom 30 was the reel I got and paired it with a 12' Offshore Angler Breakwater casting rod.  They had a deal if you trade in a reel or buy a $5 reel, you get $40 off the price of the reel  :o  and $15 off the price of the rod  :o The rod was already on sale from $99 to $89 so I did the deal. The $5 reels got donated to The Boy Scouts. I hope I made the right choice with this setup, Looks like I will find out at the Bat Fight  ;)  I saved $45 and spent the day at a great place with the family  8) 8)

Oh yeah, I had a $25 gift card too.........more savings !! 8) 8)

Latimeria

Great choice, Tim! I use the Fathom 30's and they are perfect for that rod. SNBF-X winning combo?
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Tim524

I am slowly becoming a donor to the fish gods !!! 8)

Pinoyfisher

Fancy schmancy!!! Great deal! You'll enjoy the reel, it's a workhorse that casts great!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

The thirty is a good size. I think you done good.

Tim524

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input   8) 8)

Fish Jerk

How are you gonna spool it?

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Fish Jerk on February 24, 2017, 10:30:49 PM
How are you gonna spoil it with?

Good question! I did 100lb braid and 100yds of 40lb mono for both of mine.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

Never used braid before, looks like I need to do some homework  :-\

1morecast

Oh boy, Tim is getting serious.  ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)