News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Soup du' Jour (3/18)

Started by Latimeria, March 19, 2017, 10:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Weekend plans crumbled before my eyes and had to get out fishing somehow.  Steve called up and said he wanted to hit the surf.  We flipped a coin and headed to the Kitchen.

I cast a big rod out and a critter rod out, both with Sputniks.  Reffed up on both and lost 2 rigs on my first cast.  This is not starting out well...
I rebounded and tied some new rigs.  I get a huge hit and the rod starts dancing and line was singing out.  I get to my rod and soon as I grab it, it falls off.  CRAP!  I decided to give it a 5 minute rule since i had a bullet tuna head on and 3 minutes later, it came back!  HOOKED UP!

I forgot how strong these Soupies are.  They never cease to amaze me on how they could fool you on the size of them.  Mine only managed to measure out as a cookie cutter sized 68" and was extremely well fed.  Soupie pics also don't do the fish justice sometimes.

A little later and Steve misses a big hit, but felt that he wasn't going to try the 5 minute rule and reeled in a nice bait.  He baited up and recast for nada, so that means I am 1 shark closer to 40 now!
I did lose 2 other sputniks to reef or whatever and lost a bunch of critters on the critter rod.  Damn circle hooks don't work for sh!t!  LOL
I did manage a small calico though, so I count that as a multiple fish night.

Well, another one for the list and a good night indeed. 

Until Next Tide!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Glad to get out. I would have let the bait sit a little longer after that hit but I figured the chunk was gone. Surprised to see it was still there.

SevengillTheVC

Very nicely done! I agree, I don't like circles at all except for catfish. I like that feeling of slamming the hook home on the sharks!

Tim524

Another nice one for the books 8) 8)

Pinoyfisher

I share the same disdain for circle hooks! I do like offset hooks though. Anyhoo, nice soupie Tom, and you're totally right about their fighting quality! Tough sharks!! I gotta get out tonight with my fresh grinner candy.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Eric H

I love circles, guess I'm the only one that knows how to use them ;D

Nice soupie Tom, that will feed the addiction. For a few hours    ;D

Fish Jerk

Quote from: Eric H on March 19, 2017, 04:10:36 PM

Your not the only one, Eric. I use circles exclusively when after sharks and rays.

xjchad

Quote from: Fish Jerk on March 19, 2017, 05:55:48 PM

Your not the only one, Eric. I use circles exclusively when after sharks and rays.

Me too, I love circles.

Latimeria

Testing the theory soon. Expect​ing the J-Hooks to be victorious, but will publish all data.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Fish Jerk

Quote from: sasquatch on March 19, 2017, 07:16:29 PM
Offset, or inline circles?
I use inline circles, although I gap mine about another 1/8"

vdisney

Awesome Tom, I am going to start trying your "five minute" rule.  BTW, although I've never seen one in person..............I think soupies are awesome looking animals.   Verne
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: Fish Jerk on March 19, 2017, 05:55:48 PM

I've been using offset circles exclusively as well for a few years...but I'll have to admit, I do miss the thrill and feeling at that initial hook-set you get using J hooks.