News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Caterpillars

Started by Pinoyfisher, March 27, 2017, 12:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Anyone else try keeping some all the way to butterfly status?

There's a couple of trees in front of my kids school that has a ton of caterpillars every spring. They crawl out of the tree and climb up the school walls and hang upside down and do their thing. We decided to catch a couple and see if we could keep them alive long enough to see them grow into butterflies.

Caterpillars

Starting to hang upside down

Cocoon stage

Who knew their heads fell off??

So far so good. Will post up pics of the butterflies if we make it that far. Any amateur entomologists here? I have no idea what they are.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

Used to be a tree across the street when I was a kid. Had millions of those. We would pick them then throw them in the street for cars to run over. No idea what they turn into.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: sasquatch on March 27, 2017, 01:09:45 PM
Used to be a tree across the street when I was a kid. Had millions of those. We would pick them then throw them in the street for cars to run over. No idea what they turn into.

Sounds like they turned into roadkill!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

Pretty cool learning experience for the kids  8) 8) 8)

Fish Jerk

I kept a giant swallowtail butterfly caterpillar a few years ago to maturity. It was pretty cool. They feed on citrus leaves. The most interesting thing about the caterpillar is that it mimics bird poop to prevent getting eaten.

http://butterflies.heuristron.net/butterflies/giantSwallowtail.html

Eric H

I used to fill squirt guns with dish soap/water and shoot them mid air.

Did that to thousands of ants too

Latimeria

Pretty cool Mike!  We used to occasionally get a few caterpillars running through the yard, but now our chickens are on food patrol 24/7 and no caterpillar ever makes it long enough.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

We had some monarchs that we watched go from caterpillar to butterfly last summer. The kids loved it! It was really cool letting them hold them for a few minutes before they flew away 8)

Pinoyfisher

Well, they finally hatched!

Kids were beyond stoked! Such a cool experience for them.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

Latimeria

Wow!  That's very cool Mike.  I like the second stage much better.  The first stage looks like great bluegill bait.   8)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Sharkinthedark II