News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Launching Baits

Started by Pinoyfisher, March 31, 2017, 01:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Even though I have a drone, there's still a few things I need to get done before I can break it in at the beach:

- spool up the 6/0
- make some beefier rigs (I have rigging items, need time to get it done)
- install bait release mechanism
- waiting on 2 more drone batteries to arrive (less 22mins of use on a fully charged battery warrants extras)
- method to haul drone down to the beach

Has me thinking of ways to launch baits a good distance further than traditional casting could accomplish and to not have too much additional crap to carry. I thought of this while in my garage last night:

I have 2 of them that I bought last summer from Big 5 that I intended to use for a bbq I was having at a local park. Forgot to load them in the car and they've been in the garage ever since. Thoughts?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

You bring a back up reel, right?

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: sasquatch on March 31, 2017, 01:56:48 PM

Yup. You sense a backlash??
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Tim524

Backlash is a 4 letter word........twice >:( >:(

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Tim524 on March 31, 2017, 01:59:59 PM
Backlash is a 4 letter word........twice >:( >:(

Lol!! Never thought of it that way!! Speaking of backlashes, did you get out to the cave?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on March 31, 2017, 01:57:44 PM

I'm sure it will be fine.

How tight do you hold the rod?

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: sasquatch on March 31, 2017, 03:44:08 PM
Quote from: Pinoyfisher on March 31, 2017, 01:57:44 PM

I'm sure it will be fine.

How tight do you hold the rod?

Haven't tried it yet, but initially, I plan on completely backing off the drag and leave the reel in gear. If the distance acquired is minimal, I'll try to do it with reel in freespool and see how my thumb works.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Chris

I've done this, and it works ok. Since I don't use weight on my shark leaders it launched fairly well compared to what I think would happen with some other rigs guys use. Furthest I got was probably 70yrds from a sea wall.

What you do is get a pvc pipe and stick it in the direction you want to launch. Now peel off line from your big ass reel you can't cast, take off about 20yrds more than you want to launch and wind it around a 5 gal bucket. Starting with the line closest to the reel use a piece of scotch tape and tape it to the bucket, wind it from the top down and tape it to the bucket again, leave about 15ft of line. Tie on your leader or long line clip and attach that to the leader (the line twists so you'll have to wait until the end to attach it). Now put the bucket on the pvc facing towards the target and launch your bait as far as you can. The bucket just became Your casting spool and line comes off like a spinner. Now wind all the excess line back onto your big senator or 80w reel.
Keep it tight

sasquatch

Sounds like it would work.

About what I have seen described for sturgeon below a dam.

Chris

Quote from: sasquatch on March 31, 2017, 04:28:57 PM
Sounds like it would work.

About what I have seen described for sturgeon below a dam.

That's where I initially got the idea for tossing baits off piers in Florida, but we used a 2.5gal bucket and I moved up to 5gal in Okinawa. Thought process behind a larger bucket is bigger loops come off easier and might fly further. Now if you could attach a drill to the bucket and tape the line on in reverse and spin it right off the reel that would be cool.
Keep it tight

sasquatch

Bucket with a lid, some all thread and a few nuts and washers would be all you need.

Eric H

Ive seen those water balloon launchers in action. They got some good distance.

Eric H

All you need is about 150 yds

Thats where the most sightings of them are....

I'm sure a big bloody bait would bring em closer.

Chris

Well with El Niño 3.0 on the way I'll be looking for that hammer and pray for a tiger. I'm pretty sure the warm water will push the whites north or out to sea so we won't have to worry about the dang things.
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: Chris on April 02, 2017, 05:32:00 PM
Well with El Niño 3.0 on the way I'll be looking for that hammer and pray for a tiger. I'm pretty sure the warm water will push the whites north or out to sea so we won't have to worry about the dang things.

El Niño? Is that what you heard?
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)