News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Help a Muskie fisherman plan a shark trip

Started by Niagara, April 06, 2017, 07:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niagara

I'd like to THANK YOU GUYS in advance for any help and advice you give me.

The first full week in May I'm staying at a cottage in Belmont Shore and will be fishing the LA harbor a few nights. Then my buddies are leaving and I'm staying for 2 weeks to fish for sharks.

My first question is about Pole Holders

I plan on using 2" PVC (I have extra).  Using 2 pieces apx. 30" long.  On one piece I plan on cutting a "stake end" with 2 "V" cuts with one longer than. On the other end I'm gluing on a coupling.

I plan on using a rubber mallet to hammer it into the sand and then placing the other piece in the coupling to fish.

If this concept is OK, my question is:

How long to make the "V" cuts for the Stake?

I was planning 6" and 3"

THANKS AGAIN

Scott Light

WheresMyBeer

Personally I don't trust the PVC holders with our loose sand. But others may chime in to the contrary. Would def look into the plunger technique to burry the PVC deeper in the sand. You can find tips online via google search etc.

May not have the same issues further north, but here in San Diego we have cobble stone layers where getting the PVC deep enough would be a challenge.

Good luck and hope you get some!

Dave
WMB~

Ps .. loose drag will help if confidence becomes an issue where you fish.

SevengillTheVC

I have seen the PVC work and as long as you bury it deep enough you should be fine. However the bay will no produce any of the larger models of sharK(typically). Best bet is to time on a tide and surf fishable on the open ocean. You may get a nice leo from the harbor but you most likely wont get a soup or seven. Also, huck out big baits, it is the ocean, and I'm sure you've seen muskie take huge baits!

Latimeria

Hi Scott and welcome to the site.

I know some guys use the PVC and it works for them, but as others have mentioned that the cobble below the sand sometimes gets in the way.  (for surf) Overall, I think you'll generally be good by using at least a 5' (+) section of 2" PVC and getting it down at least a foot (if not more) into the sand should be fine.  I would also just loosen up on the drag just enough so it doesn't pull the rod in on a big hit.  That way, you can get the rod out of the PVC holder easily enough and make a crank or two on the drag before setting the hook and fighting him in.  It seems counter-intuitive to do it that way, but over the years, it seems to be the most effective way of hooking them and not losing your gear.  The 5' section of PVC is just to lift it high enough to maybe keep the line out of the waves.  You'll get it when you get out there and see all of the dynamics that the surf has to offer  on any given day.

(for bay) The bays and harbors are fine for a 30" section of PVC rod holder.  At least in the bays and harbors, you can keep the bail open and clicker on as not to mess with your drag.  Just remember to NOT leave the main drag engaged as you will 100% watch it fly out of the rod holder and head out to sea if one of the giant mud marlin or even big leopard sharks takes the bait.

To make the cut in the PVC, I just draw 30 to 45 degree line from the bottom of the PVC up, and make a straight edge cut.  This is generally a good reference from what I searched real fast.
http://fishingdestinguide.com/BEACHFISHING-SANDSPIKE.html

I hope that helps.  Otherwise, check out some of the forum with other tips and tricks or just feel free to ask any questions.

-Tom
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Chris

I like a 4ft section of PVC and I stick it in wet sand and suck it down. Works just like a ghost shrimp pump and you can get it in there about 2ft very easily. I did it in the presence of Steve a few weeks ago and am surprised he didn't throw any flak at me. ;D

https://youtu.be/oiiXa4FVmtc
Keep it tight

sasquatch

Quote from: Chris on April 10, 2017, 06:45:59 AM
I like a 4ft section of PVC and I stick it and set sand and suck it down. Works just like a ghost shrimp pump and you can get it in there about 2ft very easily. I did it in the presence of Steve a few weeks ago and am surprised he didn't throw any flak at me. ;D

Didn't see you do it. Might have thrown flak, might have waved singles to see it again.

Niagara

Eric H

Quote from: sasquatch on April 10, 2017, 10:40:16 AM
Quote from: Chris on April 10, 2017, 06:45:59 AM
I like a 4ft section of PVC and I stick it and set sand and suck it down. Works just like a ghost shrimp pump and you can get it in there about 2ft very easily. I did it in the presence of Steve a few weeks ago and am surprised he didn't throw any flak at me. ;D

Didn't see you do it. Might have thrown flak, might have waved singles to see it again.

Bob your head up and down while sucking for maximum results