News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Help a Muskie fisherman - Landing a shark with no help

Started by Niagara, May 01, 2017, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niagara

Any pointers on landing with no help.  I'd prefer not to get bitten.

Thanks for your time.

sasquatch

Consider a tail rope.

5-6 feet of 3/8-1/2 inch rope with a loop at one end. Make a lasso and slip it over the tail. Tighten it up, then pull the shark up the beach a little.

Soupfin will tend to roll and slap their tail. Tough to hold with your hands.

Seven gill can turn a full circle and bite their tail, or anything in that area.

Also, a de hooker will keep your hands away from the teeth.

Take a couple pics, but please try to release in a timely manner.

WheresMyBeer

I was roasted here for a bit with the tail rope. But damn it makes life easier. Go with what Tom says. I'm too old to be a stud these days and I've come damn close to being bitten several times.

And the de-hooker helps if you don't want your pliers next to the teeth.

Have fun!

sasquatch

Latimeria

Tail rope indeed.  Dave likes bringing 50' of 3/4' rope, so we roasted him (LOL, ok, maybe a little exaggerating there)

I'll say it... Dave was right.  Getting old and having multiple surgeries does not make a body any younger and I don't feel like getting bitten.  The roasting of Dave was fun however.   ;D ;D ;D

Tail Rope will help tremendously.  De-Hooker is not needed, but nice to have to keep your hands away from the business end in case you slip.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Niagara

Thanks for the advice. Tail rope was already made and I just ordered a dehooker.