News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Surf sharks

Started by Jack Murtagh, May 26, 2017, 12:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Murtagh

Been a while since I posted, been busy with school so I'm just gonna do a post with my last months of sharking. Been and interesting few months.

first time going out after the bat fight  March 18, tride out a new spot got lines out I quickly got picked up by a bat ray when I hooked up it was taking a nice amount of drag but I was looking off into the calm water beyond the waves and right where my line was I saw a small 7 gill jump right out of the water witch got me exited got it in and realized it was a ray but for got the tape  :(  poor little 7 must have got the sh!t scared out of him!! (I'll post all the pics together) night fell apon is about 2 hrs. my buddy landed a 6'8 7 gill. Right as the 7 gill swam off my rod went screaming after a longer fight got a big ray on the sand. Rebaited next bait got picked up was fitting like a small fish like a small ray I think all of a sudden my line went supper slack then started reeling in got up with the fish and BAMM it turned its head and spooled my Torum 20 in less then 4 minutes non stop run full drag and thumbs involved!! I think I had a small ray on the line and a GW grabbed it? Or a big ray that did not want to fight until he felt taht hook again?? Who knows!! Soked for 2 more hours then we got booted off the beach because of cerfew  >:(     

Did some trips on the sand in April lots of grass and skunks, went to the pier a bit to get bait. I have also been yak fishing with my buddy who landed a about a 12 1/2 foot thresher from the yak I lost a few, but the most exiting moment was that morning we hooked into a 16+ foot thresher when it jumped it nearly landed on my lap!! Towed him 10 miles in super thick fog and I had to paddle after him so I did not get lost!! We got the fish up to leader after about 4+ hrs and right when we saw the fish about 5 feet down the hook gave out!!!  :-\ then we had the task of getting back! Ugh took a while.

This past week I have been hitting the surf after school and it has been Good for leos it's nice to pull on somthing, there all male witch is strange? I have seen about 20 from the spot in the past week and not one has been a female! Any ways that sums It up for me!

Having some picture troubles I'll get em up asoon as I fuiger it out

Pinoyfisher

Nice!! Looking forward to the pics!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

vdisney

Got your text Jack, surf and tides looking good this weekend.  I forgot when we talked...........me and Denny are splitting firewood all weekend   :(
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

LONGCAST JOE

Quote from: vdisney on May 27, 2017, 06:28:21 AM
Got your text Jack, surf and tides looking good this weekend.  I forgot when we talked...........me and Denny are splitting firewood all weekend   :(
Good luck with that Verne, sounds almost as fun as finding parking on PCH  this weekend  :D