News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

for God's sake your micros will never be safe!

Started by BenCantrell, July 10, 2017, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

Hey guys, thought I'd share an update.  I'm making the move in two weeks!  Ruoxi and I signed a lease for a rental in Sabre Springs.  We plan to stay there for 12 months and then hopefully buy a place somewhere in that general area.  My job situation is still up in the air, but that's ok.  I'll figure something out.  :P

I'm shipping my stuff in a Pod container before I leave, so I'm going to take my time driving out and do a bunch of fishing along the way.  I'm working on an epic itinerary that includes alligator gar in Oklahoma, some sucker and chub species in New Mexico, and a crap ton of micros along the way.  See map below.

Looking forward to getting settled (moving is stressful, wtf) and seeing you guys out on the sand.  Or crouched over tidepools and puddles.  Either way.  :D

BenCantrell

I don't want to jinx myself with the alligator gar, but I'm been getting super excited about trying for them.  This is the location I'm going.  When this guy goes he usually spends 2 days and only catches 2 or 3 fish.  I'll have time for about 8 hours with bait in the water, so I'm hopeful I can catch at least one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pznN-JEkvxs&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgJRXM_Pong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJ5-Cf2vfw

Pinoyfisher

Sabre Springs, huh? Not too far from Binh and I. We gotta hook up once you've settled in! Looking fwd to an epic report loaded with giant gar. Safe travels!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

You'll be driving by some great fossil territory.  Get out and stare at the ground/cutouts for a bit if you see sedimentary layering, good chance you'll find something.

Safe travels Ben and good luck on the move! 
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BenCantrell

Do gar count as fossils?  I'll keep my eyes peeled!

WheresMyBeer

Cool Ben! Welcome out here. Good place to live. I'm just around the corner as well in Carmel Mountain Ranch. Look forward to sharing some sand.

Aloha!

xjchad

Good luck on the gar Ben!  Always been one of my favorites!

BenCantrell

Arrived in San Marcos last night!  Road trip was a success even though the first 3 days were pretty miserable with the heat wave in the midwest.  No alligator gar unfortunately, but I caught other interesting stuff to make up for it.  New Mexico was a surprise gem in terms of catching new species.  Will update with pics when I get a bit more settled.

Latimeria

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

Welcome Ben, glad you had a safe trip!
Looking forward to the report!

Pinoyfisher

Nice!! Glad you had safe travels!! Now is a perfect time to catch some shovels... Lol!!!!!!!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

LONGCAST JOE

Hey Ben!, Do you still need a Leopard for your lifetime list?? That is just so ridiculous seeing your tight with the guys on this site...With a little bit of thought and effort someone should be able to put you on one in one trip, especially this time of year...

BenCantrell

A shovel and a leo would be awesome, both would be new lifers!

Lots to do with moving into the new place and getting settled.  Will be a few weeks at least before I can get out to check out the surf.  Looks like corbina are biting this time of year as well.  Can't wait though!

spideyjg

I got 2 rods to hit the Kitchen tonight at low tide for small fish if you want to come down Ben. South of the Kitchen may exposed reef to poke at.

Surf is gonna get ugly this weekend.

Jim

BenCantrell

Thanks Jim, I'll need a few weeks of unpacking before I can get out though.