News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

The Butterflies and Bait Stealers of Summer (7/19)

Started by Latimeria, July 19, 2017, 05:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

Tides stunk for sharking, but the surf was oh so sweet!  1'-2' doesn't come around SD too often, so Squatch and I made a quick run out to see if we could get a grinner that doesn't realize that it was the wrong tide.

I'm trying something new for me as I have lost way too many fish this year and decided to see if I could increase the odds in my favor.  I'm not one for circle hooks, but need to put the time in on them and gain some experience using them.

Lots of bait stealers out there.  Most likely lobster with a few nice bass pulls.  I only got one to stick and of course set the hook, when I know I shouldn't have.  That's a tough habit that I'll have to break.

One Butterfly for the evening.  I don't see many of these on the beach, but mostly in the bay.  I'll take it...

Well, next week should have some better tides and hopefully more people heading out looking for some grinners!

Thanks for reading.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

That butterfly ray is really cool!  I love the pattern it left in the sand too!
Keep at it with the circle hooks, I think you'll find that you'll end up liking them a lot.
I feel like I need to use a couple sizes bigger than what I'd use in a J hook style.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: xjchad on July 19, 2017, 11:26:24 AM
Keep at it with the circle hooks, I think you'll find that you'll end up liking them a lot.
I feel like I need to use a couple sizes bigger than what I'd use in a J hook style.

They're (circle hooks) a pain in the a$$ to remove though. Btw, hating these summer reports... shovels, leos, and rays... ugh.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on July 19, 2017, 01:36:52 PM
Quote from: xjchad on July 19, 2017, 11:26:24 AM

They're (circle hooks) a pain in the a$$ to remove though. Btw, hating these summer reports... shovels, leos, and rays... ugh.

I don't thing they're that bad.  The hook is always in the corner of the mouth.  Some of the hooks I use have a large barb that I partially (sometimes fully) flatten and it makes it really easy.

spideyjg

Quote from: Pinoyfisher

/quote]

But if you stick it, circles don't get thrown

Jim

1morecast

That bait looked bigger then that ray's mouth. I call the winning shark for the "summer" contest will be caught in December.
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Latimeria

Quote from: 1morecast on July 19, 2017, 03:23:11 PM
That bait looked bigger then that ray's mouth. I call the winning shark for the "summer" contest will be caught in December.

It looks like school needs to start up again.  You take a few months of teaching off and your brain starts to get mushy.  lol ;D
You can't catch them from your computer chair.