News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Another Check Mark On My Bucket List 8/2/17

Started by xjchad, August 03, 2017, 01:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

My dad (GilB) and I hit the sand last night for kind of a last minute session.  I knew it was going to be a short one, so I wanted to try a new spot that is a little closer to home.  I've been eyeing this spot for a while, but the pull to go to the usual spot is always so strong that I've been passing it up.  Dad got there first and staked our claim on the sand.  I wasn't super optimistic, but just happy to get our lines wet and try some new bait.  My last outing I kept a small bat ray since I've heard that they are prey items for a lot of sharks.  Conditions were pretty good, not too much kelp, but a bit of chopped salad that would foul the lines occasionally.  Incoming tide with 2-3 foot waves breaking fairly close in.  We started soaking about 5:30, dad using fresh macs and me with strips of bat ray.

No real action for the first hour.  I decided to clear the salad off my line so I brought it in and put a fresh chunk of ray on and sent it back out.  At about 7:00 I got a nice bendo and line starts peeling off as I pick it up and set the hook.  I'm feeling tail slaps right away so I'm thinking it's the right kind!  Took about 50 yards on the first run before he stopped and I could start gaining some line back.  As soon as I got him near the waves, he'd head straight back out again.  I knew it wasn't a 7gill at this point, big Leo?  Soupfin?

This happened 2 more times over the next 10 minutes before he finally came in close enough to get glimpses of it.  My dad is at the waters edge waiting for a chance when a wave brings it up close.  He yells "It's some kind of grouper or something!"  I knew then exactly what it was and yelled back "Black Sea Bass!!"  I've dreamed of catching one, but knew the chances were slim.  What a rush!  Dad got a hand on him and slid him up on the sand.  We got a quick measurement and a couple pictures and had him back in the water as quick as possible.

42.5" and heavy!  Such a strong fish!

After getting it back in the water and watching him swim away, I was walking back up the sand when I noticed my foot hurting.  As I was releasing it, a wave hit and he flopped and rolled hard against my leg.  Apparently one of the dorsal spines got the top of my big toe pretty good and sliced it open.  I wanted to keep fishing, but dad talked me into packing up and heading to urgent care, especially since we didn't know if there were any bacterial issues to worry about. 

Three stitches later I guess he got his revenge, but it was so worth it!
What a magnificent creature!

Eric H

Hell yeah it was worth it 8)

That's seriously bad ass chad, I'm happy for you.

I'm still waiting on mine.

Pinoyfisher

Kick ass!!! That's also on my bucket list!!! Pretty cool it was on a different bait too!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

xjchad

Thanks guys!
I was surprised to catch it on the bat ray also!
I'm pretty stoked to finally have some success at spot I scouted myself too, good feeling  :)

sasquatch

BSB at the spot you found on your own? Double whammy. Congrats. That is soooo cool.

I thought urgent care was s little much until I saw 3 stitches. Good call.

Really a great feeling releasing the big fish.

Fish Jerk

WTG Chad!!

That's a beaut, and definately better than a grinner in my book.

WheresMyBeer

Wow great catch. Way to get in back quick and congrats on the souvenir (scar) :P :P :P

vdisney

Quote from: Eric H on August 03, 2017, 03:03:40 PMThat's seriously bad ass chad, I'm happy for you.

I'm still waiting on mine.

What Eric said times 2!!!!!!!!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

LONGCAST JOE

WTG Chad!!! Awesomeness in so many ways! First VC BSB I can recall. Ironic that you've stayed scratch free handling all those bats but get stuck by a BSB  ;)

BackBayMan

BSB and a nice little scar. Great little war story. That's so cool 8)
Anybody have an emergency beer?

BenCantrell

Latimeria

WOW!  Congrats boss!  That is quite the accomplishment!

BTW, I caught a BSB in my boat a few years ago fishing with Len (Skrilla) and that anal spine f@cked up my palm!  I should have gotten stiches but I wrapped it up and kept fishing while bleeding all over my boat. 

Such an awesome catch indeed!
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Donfish

Nice one Bro years back we landed one fishing Ensenada that we decided to keep and eat it measured 40" and went 40lb even so I had guessed 45-50lbs on yours just by the pic and sounds about spot on for your measurements. Identifiably Belly contents were 1 Baby Bat Ray  ;)

xjchad

Thanks guys! It was definitely a memorable experience!
Now I want to catch another one, haha!