News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Scratching the itch (08-28-17)

Started by Pinoyfisher, August 29, 2017, 11:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinoyfisher

Needed to fish even though the tide sucked and it was already past 9pm. First baits in the water by 9:45pm. Using 2 rods. 3 casts in a row, big clumps of broken up kelp and eel grass. Not a good sign, but the surf was little to none, so I kept at it.

No bites until the tide started to swing up. Critters were hollowing out the mack heads. Threw a tail on one rod and I get my first hookup. No head shakes, but solid weight and it's fighting back some. Was thinking a bat in the upper 30" class. Ended up being a decent butterfly ray.

I missed a couple solid take downs in the other rod while fiddling with the ray. I'm guessing lobster. Rebait and reel in other rod for a bait check. I start to walk the shore line checking for "things" and I her a click and see a rod tip bounce around. Set the hook and feel nothing, so I reel it in. Got a cute little eel on it. No thicker than my rod and maybe 2' long. He still managed to put a knot in my rig >:(  I release it and toss out another bait. While I was digging a bait out of the cooler, I see a little green glow near my foot. I check it out after casting and it runs from me! Turns out it's a sand flea. I guess it absorbed light from my headlamp?? Had no idea they could do that.

12:30am quickly arrived and even though the bites were increasing, 3hrs of basketball was starting to catch up with me and I called it. The signs are there, grinners should be sliding up the sand with regularity pretty soon!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

BenCantrell

Is a butterfly ray +1, 0, or -1?

Seriously though, nice catch!

Was the eel a moray or something else?  There's probably some sort of shrimp eel species here, but I'm not sure.

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: BenCantrell on August 29, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

Was the eel a moray or something else?  There's probably some sort of shrimp eel species here, but I'm not sure.

Thornbacks are the only minus. Lol! I believe the eel is a moray.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

Quote from: Pinoyfisher on August 29, 2017, 01:27:51 PM
Quote from: BenCantrell on August 29, 2017, 12:32:12 PM

Thornbacks are the only minus. Lol! I believe the eel is a moray.

Thornbacks = (-1)
Morays & Round Rays = (0)
Butterfly Ray... Definitely = (+1)
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

Latimeria

Nice session Mike.  We'll get Ben all up to speed here in a hurry.  ;)

BenCantrell

Pinoyfisher

Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

sasquatch

Latimeria

Nope, the only minus one's were named from a guy we fished with 10+ years ago.  When we say -1, we know exactly what it was.  Eels and round rays just plain don't count.  lol

lightline21

HalibutJoel99

BenCantrell

Quote from: Latimeria on August 29, 2017, 04:57:41 PM
Nope, the only minus one's were named from a guy we fished with 10+ years ago.  When we say -1, we know exactly what it was.  Eels and round rays just plain don't count.  lol

I was -3 last weekend.  :'(

Pinoyfisher

Quote from: BenCantrell on August 29, 2017, 08:53:06 PM
Quote from: Latimeria on August 29, 2017, 04:57:41 PM

I was -3 last weekend.  :'(

Lol!!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)