News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Different depth, different rockfish

Started by BenCantrell, September 10, 2017, 10:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

Got a last minute invite from Tom to go out in his boat.  I quickly said yes.  Our plan was to stock up on bait (bonito and macks) and then hop around from spot to spot looking for yellowtail, halibut, and lings.

Tom with only half of his coffee consumed.

We caught 2 bonito and 2 mackerel.  We were hoping for more, but oh well.  The rest of the day we cruised around fishing structure whenever we saw it on the sonar.  Other boats weren't finding yellowtails either, so we weren't missing out on much.

Calico rockfish

Kelp rockfish (#472)

Halibut (small, but a couple inches PR over my tiny one from the surf last year)

Gopher rockfish (#473)

Olive rockfish aka Johnny Bass (#474)

Brown rockfish (#475)

We hooked into a couple bigger fish that either came unhooked or broke the line in the rocks.  Probably lingcod, but we'll never know.

I used the fresh bonito as bait later in the evening, and this is how I did:
http://prehistoricsoul.com/forum/index.php?topic=2569.msg20278#msg20278

Thanks for a great day out on the water Tom!  Only 25 species to go to hit 500!

xjchad

Sounds fun!
I need to try boat fishing one of these days!

Latimeria

Glad you could knock some more lifers off your list.  Bummer the wind never let down one bit all morning.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.