News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Recycling Pipe and Making Flutter Jigs

Started by Latimeria, September 16, 2017, 07:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

My buddy got a hold of some 100 year old lead pipe from work and gave it to me to try and make something cool out of it.

I had to use a sledge hammer to crimp down the pipe and use a bolt cutter to cut smaller manageable pieces.  I would have used an acetylene torch if I had one, but I had to use what I got.

There was a sh!t load of slag from the pipe.  Lots of dirt and impurities in there.  It took many hours to get everything smelted into pure lead bars.

Liquid Gold!

Making Bars.

The bounty!  That not a bad haul, but have to limit and decide what I wanted to pour.  Those big sinkers use a lot of lead to make.  I decided on some flutter jigs.  I lose so many of them looking for bonito, macks and even rockfish on the small gear that it's worth trying to pour them first.

It took a little more work, but I made some great jigs that now need to powder coat and get some hooks put on.

I'll update the progress as I pour some more.

Thanks for reading.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

Really cool Tom!
Looks like a lot of fun!

skrilla

Ah so that's why the closure on the 8.  :D Cool mold those will definitely get bit. Might not even need paint.

1morecast

Sweet jigs, I see a new business in your future. ;)
2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)