News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Snag City 12/27-12/28

Started by sasquatch, December 28, 2014, 04:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sasquatch

Well, forced time off at Christmas is upon me once again. What better use than to head north and take the boys to see Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Diane. Always some work to be done around the house, good food to eat and pool to shoot.

As usual, I got up early and headed for my favorite spot. The surf was down, but the tide was headed negative, so I was hopeful, but unsure what to expect since the last low tide I was here was unfishable.

I was happy to see some sandy beach in the distance.

Fished crack on 4# for nothing. Lost lots of gear in the rocks, but it is pretty much expected. I didn't get any bites, so I decided to explore around the rocky point. I found another small beach unreachable at any higher tide and made my way over. It looked even more rocky, so I switched to a grub and quick retrieve to conserve gear. I was rewarded with a smallish calico surf perch.

There were also many rewards of nature including sea otters feeding outside the surf, tide pool creatures, and cool geology.

It was a nice morning, but with only the one bite, I made a change of location. I left the grub on and made repeated casts at the featureless sandy beach near the Pismo Beach pier. I was rewarded once again. This time with the biggest smelt I have ever seen. Probably 18 inches.

I decided it was time to head back for breakfast, grabbed a quick batch of sandcrabs for the next day and headed home.

Round two. This time the tide is higher, but the surf is still totally workable. Pick my spot, pin on a crab, and its on.

Nice barred surf perch. Next cast, tap, tap, set the hook, snagged. All gear lost. Retie, rebait, recast, tap, tap, hookup, nice calico.

Repeat as needed. Probably retied twice for every fish I caught. Sometimes even the braid to mono connection broke off. Used up all my hooks, and weights. Had some great perchin though.

And I got a bonus Cabezon. I think.

Back on the road for home tomorrow.

Latimeria

Yeah buddy!  Lead lost is alright if you hit your mark.  Next month is beach time for some bigger critters down here.

I have a bunch to do including catching some lobster for my folks coming out to visit here soon, but maybe lets get out trout fishing with Dirty Dave on New Years morning?  Call me when you get back into town.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

sasquatch

Don't mind losing the gear. I miss the time I waste retieing. The bite window opened for maybe an hour. Two thirds of that seemed like it was knot tieing.

Kind of nervous to trout fish with Dave. Not sure I have proper gear.

See you Teusday?

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on December 28, 2014, 05:37:15 PM
Don't mind losing the gear. I miss the time I waste retieing. The bite window opened for maybe an hour. Two thirds of that seemed like it was knot tieing.

Kind of nervous to trout fish with Dave. Not sure I have proper gear.

See you Teusday?

Nope, Tuesday my parents will be at my place so I have to bail, thus my need to get lobster before then.  When I wrote trout fishing, I meant trout fishing on New Years EVE morning if you are up for it.  He'll be good, but I can't promise.  LOL

sasquatch

I'll look through my gear. Honestly don't have much micro tackle.
Bummer about Teusday, but I'll text you pictures.
Still on for new years day?

Latimeria

Quote from: sasquatch on December 28, 2014, 05:50:10 PM
I'll look through my gear. Honestly don't have much micro tackle.
Bummer about Teusday, but I'll text you pictures.
Still on for new years day?
As far as I'm concerned, it's a go!

Pinoyfisher

Cool northern report. You did way better than me.
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

raychavez91

Beautiful empty beaches, I love that