News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Canadian goes surf fishing

Started by BenCantrell, October 08, 2017, 02:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenCantrell

First off, my hunt for corvina has begun.  I fished Mission Bay after work last Wed or Thurs using a LC 110, but didn't get any hits.  On Fri my order of Spooks (a couple of one knockers, a super, and a junior) came in the mail, so I'll give them a try next time.  I'll probably try once per week going back and forth between Mission Bay and SD Bay until I catch my first vina.

My friend Michael was in town this weekend, visiting from Toronto.  He's been KenT's wing man for a long time, and I've done a number of trips with him as well.  He's caught some pretty decent sharks in FL, but this was his first time trying for the ones out here.  He went out on the San Diego 3/4 day on Friday but unfortunately came back empty handed.  Based on the numbers about 1 out of every 2 people got a YFT.

We went to the Soup Kitchen Fri night and had a great time.  Within 10 minutes of setting up Michael had his first leopard shark on the beach, and it put all the dinky ones I've caught to shame!

The chunk of mack on my big rod wasn't getting touched, but I found plenty of action using squid on a 5/0 octopus hook with 60 lb fluoro leader fished close to the reef.  I caught a thornback (I know, -1), a round ray, and then this lifer butterfly ray. (#481:D

Michael got excited by the stuff I was catching, so he made a similar rig and fished even closer to the reef.  He ended up catching his first CA moray.  I really want one of these now, haha.  They're so freaking cool.

I finally got a hit on my big rod using the tail of our last mackerel.  Surf tractor!

I've been made fun of for the way I hold guitarfish, so here's a proper pose with it.

Binh had hooked us up with some extra macks, so we needed to restock on Saturday, both for us and to pay him back.  We went to OB pier 2 hrs before high tide, but the macks either weren't there or weren't biting.  We saw only one caught in the 3 hrs we were there.  Michael messed around with a small hook and caught a couple topsmelt, so I guess we didn't technically skunk out, but it was disappointing.

In the afternoon I took Michael to one of my lagoon spots, and he caught his lifer bay blenny, mussel blenny, yellowfin goby, and diamond turbot.  He caught the turbot in the exact same spot I caught mine, and we saw another person catch one there as well.  That's as close to a go-to spot as you can get.  If anyone wants the spot, feel free to PM me.  They're not big, but it's a cool lifer.

After the sun went down and we had a gourmet dinner of Panda Express we returned to the Soup Kitchen for round 2.  We were both hoping for large grinners, I wanted a moray, and Michael wanted a thornback and butterfly ray.  Michael caught a couple of keychain leos close to shore, and Binh joined us after a few hours.  It was a much slower night, and the surf was quite a bit higher.  I got one thornback, Michael got one shovelnose, and that was it.  We used store bought macks, which actually looked really fresh and held together fine, but they didn't get touched.  Binh made the right call and didn't stay too long.

lightline21

Latimeria

Well damn, Ben!  Nicely done guys!

That was a legit Leopard Shark and a legit bunch of critters... except for that toothy worm your bud caught.. Screw those eels!!!

As for the corvina, we'll get out soon and I'll get you caught up on the corvina page.  You could basically catch them anywhere, but there are a few spots and a few techniques that will quadruple your luck.

Excellent work boss.
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

BackBayMan

Legit fish there. Fresh macs. Isn't that our never ending quest ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

BenCantrell

Quote from: BackBayMan on October 09, 2017, 07:55:05 AM
Legit fish there. Fresh macs. Isn't that our never ending quest ;D

You ain't joking.  I have negative macks right now since I owe Binh.   :'(

sasquatch

Took him ten minutes to get his first leopard? How long did it take you again? Hmmm.

Nice bunch of fish. It is always fun when everything you catch is new and different.

vdisney

Quote from: BenCantrell on October 08, 2017, 02:14:32 PM
He ended up catching his first CA moray.  I really want one of these now, haha.  They're so freaking cool..

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!
Family is Everything..............Honor, Loyalty & Respect

BenCantrell

Quote from: vdisney on October 09, 2017, 05:29:44 PM
He ended up catching his first CA moray.  I really want one of these now, haha.  They're so freaking cool..

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

You're also freaking cool?

Latimeria

Quote from: BenCantrell on October 10, 2017, 06:58:32 AM
Quote from: vdisney on October 09, 2017, 05:29:44 PM

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!

You're also freaking cool?

Wait until you get one of those sea serpents that can swallow your head or saw your arm off.  Gross creatures.  :o
You can't catch them from your computer chair.