News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Sevengill Magic Baits

Started by Latimeria, November 26, 2017, 07:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latimeria

I was cleaning some bottom critters yesterday and got to thinking...  Sevengills are known deep water sharks as well as shallow.  What foods would they like that is not all prickly and probably out there in abundance?

I think I have some new baits to try out!  It can't hurt and the logic seems reasonable to me.

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

spideyjg

They won't fly off the hook like soft bonito body chunks.

Bloody fish heads are great shark bait period.

BackBayMan

Quote from: spideyjg on November 26, 2017, 09:23:15 PM
They won't fly off the hook like soft bonito body chunks.

Bloody fish heads are great shark bait period.

Tie the bonito body chunks on with bait elastic. Seems stupid, but it works ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

spideyjg

Quote from: BackBayMan on November 26, 2017, 09:38:49 PM

Got some coming in my Cabelas black Friday stuff.

Jim

Chris

I was sliding white fish at SCI. They work. Had them skipping on the surface and sliding to the bottom and they all got hit.
Keep it tight

Pinoyfisher

Got some buddies who are 1/2 day boat captains and they would tell me stories of how they'd get soups and 7s following up hooked rockfish while fishing deep rocks off of TP and Del Mar. They complained about how much of nuisance they could be and that they would drive them off like seals in the kelp beds. I think you have some winning bait there!
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

spideyjg

I never understood why people weren't saving rockfish, yellowtail, et all heads for bait.  :-\

Jim

Fish Jerk

I know that if i boat fished, I would keep all the castable sized heads. Most sharks won't turn down a free meal if they find it.

Latimeria

Most of the rockfish heads are pretty big and spiny.  I used to keep them for lobster bait when I was getting low on other other bait, but those cheek spikes would always puncture the plastic bags and still get me when handling them in the cooler.  These whitefish heads are just the right casting size and pretty meaty compared to the rockfish heads.

spideyjg

I was thinking of all the rat yellowtails. I get them at the Asian market sometimes but they are far from prime shape.

Even some of the opaleyes and other fare like that could work. Somebody said the wrecks are loaded with sargo and midshipmen so loading up with little fare should be simple on the boat.

Trying to work on mine in fits and starts. Finished gluing fresh aluminum to the stringers in the bow section.

BackBayMan

Quote from: Chris on November 27, 2017, 12:16:49 AM
I was sliding white fish at SCI. They work. Had them skipping on the surface and sliding to the bottom and they all got hit.

How high up were you? Did you slide them from the sand? What size weight did you throw as an anchor?

BackBayMan

Quote from: spideyjg on November 26, 2017, 10:18:20 PM
Quote from: BackBayMan on November 26, 2017, 09:38:49 PM

Got some coming in my Cabelas black Friday stuff.

Jim

Don't worry about how to do it. There are no points for neatness, just wrap the piss out of it 8)

BenCantrell

I hoped opaleye would be the magic bait.  It wasn't.

spideyjg

Quote from: BenCantrell on November 27, 2017, 10:11:38 AM

Did anyone catch around you on something else? The GG nobody got any evidence of bites.

Jim

Latimeria

Quote from: BenCantrell on November 27, 2017, 10:11:38 AM

I killed them one day on the Opaleye.  Never did any good on them until one random day when they out fished fresh mackerel.  Maybe just random results that happened one blue moon, but it is possible.