News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

The Chum Bucket

Started by JayRay, November 28, 2017, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayRay

To bad all the posts under this topic got bombed by photobucket, I wanted to try and tie up some of the other posts.

Here is my critter rod rig.

Since I started using this rig I am only on the squid for a short time before the fresh cut bait arrives. I usually put a big piece of bait in the bucket and then change out the hook and bait size till I figure out what is around. I will run from #6 to 6/0 hooks on it and then move to the long rod for anything bigger, never met a hungry fish that was line shy.

I have used them on mono for a long time but work much better on wire.

#MAGA

Pinoyfisher

Reminds me of a UK style carp rig. Dig the little skulls, what's the dirt on those??
Batson Rod Winner 2017
      2018 SNBF Champ
          Forty Six (46)

Latimeria

Funny, I had the same type of rig for the east coast spring stripers and flounder.  It was just mono though and my chum bucket was a drilled out old 35mm film cannister.  (God, I sure hope most of you know what they were... Most people used them to hold their weed.  LOL )
You can't catch them from your computer chair.

xjchad

Jay, that's a pretty sweet rig!
I'm building a reel for my critter rig set up now and always looking for new ideas  :D
Where do you get the chum cage and the cool beads?
Do you just clip your hooks directly to the snap swivels?

JayRay

I bought the cages last year on ebay. I got like 20 of them for like $2 and free shipping but took like a month to get here from China. The beads I found at hobby lobby and make a nice click sound when they get bounced around. I don't know if it actually makes any difference to the fish but heard the audible click attracts fish so I have always used them with good results and put them on all my rigs.

Yea I will just clip my hooks directly to the swivel, makes it easy to change out hooks and sinker sizes during a session without changing leaders. I will step the hook sizes up or down depending on the bite. When I fish bat rays with it I will usually put a 6/0 on the bottom hook and then a #2 treble hook on the top to catch the smaller fish trying to steal my bait.

I am working on a rig now to make conditions like the grinner gathering fishable and will post it up once I have given it a few successful trial runs.

#MAGA