News:

Prehistoric Soul - 2024

We are pleased to announce that the forum has been successfully updated to the latest version. While the process has been gradual and some posts were unfortunately lost, the forum is now operating on a stable platform. Over the coming weeks, we will continue to make periodic updates, including adjustments to colors, advertisements, and other features. In the meantime, we encourage you to catch up on old posts or contribute new ones. Thank you for your patience and continued support.

Main Menu

Couldn't wait, went to the park for a few casts

Started by BackBayMan, December 01, 2017, 03:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackBayMan

I couldn't wait. I wanted to see how the new toy would work, so I went to the local soccer field to get a feeling.

I'll do a fuller write up after I fish with it a few times, but for now:

Spooled it with 80lb KastKing braid. The 4 strand, not the 8, because that's what I had on hand. Probably didn't do a wiz bang job of spooling it tight, but I don't think it's the worst spool job in the world either. Went with the factory default 3 centrifugal brakes activated and a 6oz weight. Took Matt's advice and just tried lobbing it 20 yards to start.

Bottom line, within 8 casts I hit 70 yards. Easy. No backlash, birds nests or missing skin from my thumb.

That was just a weight at the park. We'll see what it does with a rub leader, FG knot, bait, and wind tomorrow.

But so far, so good ;D
Anybody have an emergency beer?

1morecast

Once you get the hang of casting the new rig you should be able to get 50-60 yards without issue.

2016 Summer Shark Fishing Champion :)
Twenty Three (23)

Eric H

BackBayMan

Quote from: 1morecast on December 01, 2017, 06:36:04 PM
Once you get the hang of casting the new rig you should be able to get 50-60 yards without issue.

If I can do that with bait, I'm good for the purpose of this setup 8)

BackBayMan

Quote from: Eric H on December 01, 2017, 06:47:21 PM
The thumb never forgets 8)

OMG, this is so much better than what I was using 40 plus years ago ;D

Latimeria

You can't catch them from your computer chair.

LONGCAST JOE

Hey Chip, if you can make yourself watch all of the way through on YouTube some of Tommy Farmers instructional casting videos and head back out to the park, you will pick up something or other that will add some distance to your casts...maybe a little or maybe a lot, you never know...I've spent countless of my lunch hours at the nearby park tossing lead...

BackBayMan

Quote from: LONGCAST JOE on December 02, 2017, 07:30:19 PM
Hey Chip, if you can make yourself watch all of the way through on YouTube some of Tommy Farmers instructional casting videos and head back out to the park, you will pick up something or other that will add some distance to your casts...maybe a little or maybe a lot, you never know...I've spent countless of my lunch hours at the nearby park tossing lead...

Love those videos!

I'm not even close to executing what Tommy does in those videos, especially when standing knee deep+ in the surf with the sand being washed out from under my feet. I did concentrate on keeping my right arm away from my body and turning, but realistically I'm still not going anywhere near full blast because of my unfamiliarity with the new rig and fear of backlashes. I did get a bit of a backlash early on, but nothing that wasn't sorted out long before walking my pole back to the holder.

Long story short, I got a bigger chunk of bait with a heavier weight at least as far as my spinner and 15' Ugly Stik first time out using straight 4 strand 80lb braid with a 10' 100lb mono rub leader tied on with an FG knot. Couldn't ask for more than that.